Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 April 2013
I heard Mary McAleese being interviewed on radio and decided that I'd like to get her book. While the radio interview was a delight, the book was not. I have books all over my house and like nothing better than a good read but Quo Vadis was very tough going. I wanted an insight into canon law and collegiality in the church but several times I put the book down in despair. As far as I could see, practically every paragraph had references and if I was going to check these out I'd never finish the book. In fact, I didn't finish the whole book. I did something I've never done in my life and gave up before I got to the end. I found the book too convoluted and confusing.
on 24 December 2015
This a such an interesting book, I have it on Kindle and hardback now. Though not an RC canon lawyer the issues Mary McAleese raises are so important that one cannot help but get involved in the conversation.
on 15 November 2013
At long last someone with a well-informed legal background has examined the Documents of Vatican II and beyond and attempted to define collegiality among Roman Catholic bishops and how this relates to Papal authority. This is a detailed but cutting analysis, concluding both that the Catholic Church's documents do not yet define collegiality definitively (hence the tiitle Quo vadis?) and, from the documents themselves, evidence that informed lay people have a duty to 'make known to the pastors of the church their needs'. An excellent and timely book.
on 6 February 2013
I liked this book because it makes a erudite contribution to exploring collegiality or lack of it in the Catholic church . It also asks the question is there a forum for laity/hierarchy discussion of modern day issues. Mary McAleese backs the contents of her book with good scholarship while expressing the passion and integrity of her beliefs.
on 29 August 2014
Mary is as straight and honest as they come,I am very proud to come from the same area in North Belfast
on 9 December 2015