5.0 out of 5 stars There was an old woman from Harrow, who bought a mahogany barrow..., 22 Sep 2010
sharon "I listen to my books while working, a... (Falmouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Owl and the Pussycat: And Other Nonsense Rhymes (Cover to Cover) (Audio CD)
There are 15 nonsense rhymes altogether by Edward Lear from the 'Owl & the Pussycat' to 'The Two Old Bachelors' (my favourite). This was originally released on casstte in 1987. I am so glad that they've re-released it on CD. There's just one cd - 40 minutes long.
'Edward Lear is famous for his linguistic genius & peculiar brand of humour.'Alan Bennett just enhances this fab collaboration.

For everyone I think from babies to adults, I say babies too because the dulcet tones of Alan Bennett is very soothing & rhythmic ~ for kids, the nonsense rhymes get them hooked in, every now & again asking what a phrase means, & for adults the wry humour & silliness just makes you smile. We as a family certainly enjoy it, classic lit that does not go out of fashion. Great stuff....

5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of nonsense, 23 Feb 2009
Ms. Susan Bull "Sue Bull" (Barnet, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great product for children and adults. The much loved nonsense rhymes of Edward Lear given the Alan Bennett treatment and the result is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars There was a CD about Lear,, 8 Sep 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Fifteen Edward Lear nonsense poems - 'Owl & the Pussycat', 'The Two Old Bachelors' and so on. All the favourites. A 1989 cassette in a new life. Lear may not be to everyone's taste but for those who like him, Alan Bennett just adds to the fun.

I bought it for my grandchildren who travel a lot in cars and a CD is ideal to while away the miles. I gather the reports have been favourable and I enjoyed it too. Growing old is compulsory; growing up, why bother?

The Owl and the Pussycat: And Other Nonsense Rhymes (Cover to Cover)
Used & New from: 3.36