5.0 out of 5 stars A classic
Published on 21 Sep 2002 by Claire Cottrill

3.0 out of 5 stars good, a nice intro to the series
A nice intro to the series. Personally, though, this book is fairly disappointing, with enjoyable pictures but not enough text to the story. Very short, but fairly enjoyable. Sorry, Jill, but things only get exciting in the other books. Nice, though.
Published on 29 Dec 2005 by Conor Byrne

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 21 Sep 2002
Claire Cottrill "Clairei" (Channel Islands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first read this book in about 1981 and I've loved it ever since. Forget the terrible tv series which had very little to do with the actual work, this book is a great read - FULL of spooky, misty, atmosphere and marvellous characters like the terrifying Miss Hardbroom... Well worth reading, especially for any child who missed the tv series...(btw, the best adaptation was the 1980s film with Fairuza Baulk, a fab Halloween film :0)

4.0 out of 5 stars The worst witch, 17 Sep 2003
Fina Martinez (Bottesford, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having never read this series as a child, I was recommened it for my childern. I really enjoyed Mildred Hubbles poor displays of witchcraft and how she won through after several disasters. You could see it as a forerunner of Harry Potter. A wonderful book fof a young reader as the story progresses quickly and is easy to follow. I will read another.

4.0 out of 5 stars The proto-Harry Potter?, 4 July 2004
By A Customer
'The Worst Witch' series was a favourite of mine as a child - a sort of proto-Harry Potter for kids in the early 80's, albeit aimed at a slightly younger age group. As a fan of the Potter books, I was curious to know whether the HP phenomenon had led to a resurgence of interest in the adventures of Mildred and co. I was so certain that the books would be out of print by now, so to rediscover them all over again was a joy. After re-reading the Worst Witch, I was pleased to see that it has stood the test of time. Recommended for younger readers of the Harry Potter series and children of all ages (including 30-somethings!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Witch made me laugh a lot!, 25 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Worst Witch (Paperback)
I thought this book was very funny. Mildred Hubble gets everything wrong and she threatens to turn her enemy in to a frog. But like all her other spells, she gets it wrong - with funny results! I am 7 years old and am looking forward to reading the next book about the worst witch.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Witch, 10 Mar 2013
This book is about a girl called Mildred Hubble who goes to Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches. Mildred is a witch who always gets told off because she breaks the rules although she doesn't mean to. Her best friend is called Maud. Maud is tubby, wears round glasses and she wears her hair in bunches. Miss Hardbroom is Mildred's teacher. She is very thin and strict and likes a girl called Ethel because she gets everything right. The funny thing is that Mildred's cat Tabby is as mischievous as she is.
My favourite character is Mildred herself because she does funny things and she has a nice personality.
I really like the parts where she casts spells on people because they don't work properly and that makes me laugh.
It is my favourite book and I would really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars year 3 book review, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Worst Witch (Paperback)
The Worst Witch is writen by Jill Murphy she is not that famous it is my favourite Worst Witch book.

A girl called Mildred can't walk from one end off the coridor to the other with out getting told of.She lives in Miss Cacles Acadamy,she has a best freind called Maud and she can't even ride a broomstick because her cat Tabby can't stay on her broomstick.

I liked the bit when Mildred turned the group of witches into snails because first she got the spell wrong and she turned them into dogs.

I recomend this book to children between year 2 and year 4.I would give this book 10 out of 10 because I love this book very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars still as good as when I was a child, 20 Feb 2005
A. K. Davis "akg" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really enjoyed the worst witch books when I was a child and I am amazed to find out now it was originally published three years before I was born.
The story is still enjoyable and the drawings throughout the book are wonderful and really add to the text. Of course a similarity if always going to be drawn to this and Harry Potter (broomstick and potions classes) but at just over 100 pages and with larger print it is aimed at a younger audience than the Harry Potter books but should be enjoyable to most readers, even older ones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worst witch, 6 April 2013
I loved it. It was the most interesting book I have ever read. Everybody should download this book. It is amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Feb 2013
Perfect for my 5 yr old. I read this 20 odd yrs ago myself and its still relevant.. A good intro to proper books with chapters etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Worst Witch (Audio CD)
My daughter loves witches, she has read all of the books. As a Xmas gift I bought her the CD's. She was thrilled! A good buy!

The Worst Witch
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (Audio CD - 3 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: 5.03