Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 March 2008
Sadly if you are a teacher and were well informed on your PGCE nothing in this book should be a surprise to you. Its a summary of educational research in a quirky diagram-heavy format which is supposed to be designed to be the best for readers, however, despite being a visual learner I found way too much complexity in presentation.

The pages are literally buzzing with diagrams, caricatures and notes which is alright when you've put them there yourself when annotating a text but is quite off-putting when you are trying to find a fixed point to begin on the page but your eyes are so entranced by the number of pictures to take in that you get a bit dizzy.

Once I found a strategy to absorb the content I was flipping through the book sighing 'duh' etc waiting for the real information on visual learners and how to support their learning styles to begin... then I hit the 'how to do the diagrams yourself' section aka appendices which is a good round up of different visual recording strategies from your bog-standard spider diagram to Venn Diagrams and the more complex.
This section is worth it as a refresher in ways to get your students to record information in different ways for different purposes, but the rest is nothing but a rehash of every other educational theory book I have read!
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2009
There are many ideas here and I hadn't come across them before - perhaps because I'm not a teacher.
I'd recommend it for anyone with masses of data, abstract concepts and a desire to learn effective ways to express themselves.