1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for an enquiring mind, 1 July 2011
Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mysterious Britain (Paperback)
I bought this book in 1976 and this purchase was a gift for a friend. Is there another book that covers so many different individual aspects of the strange, mysterious and the paranormal in Britain? If there is I don't know of it. Let's be clear, this book doesn't cover anyone thing in depth but when I first read it the experience was a revelation. I new about many subjects inside but there where lots more that I had no idea of and that's where it excels. It is a fabulous introduction to Britain's many strange places and even stranger events. The Glastonbury zodiac, laid out in the fields surrounding Glastonbury. Like the animals on the Nazca plain in Southern America, only really discernable from the sky. Enigmas and legends attached to various locations, featuring well know places like Tintagel and lesser known places such as Chun hill fort and quoit. I had just visited Chun in Cornwall in September 1976 and as I was young thought I would never see it again. Cornwall seemed on another planet in those days as I had journeyed 400 miles there from Lincolnshire. I was in a book shop in Tintagel and picked up Janet and Colin Bord's Mysterious Britain and on the very first page that I opened what should be looking up at me but a photograph of Chun quoit! I flicked through and found information on the lost land of Lyonesse, purported to have been situated between Lands End and the Isles of Scilli, Avebury in Wiltshire, older than the pyramids and Wayland smithy, the eerie Neolithic tomb on Britain's oldest track way. I was hooked and quickly made my purchase. I can't recommend this book enough to all those of you who are new to Britain's mysterious past; it's a good appetite wetter and something that you can dip in and out of. Not every subject will suite everybody but for those who think they have to go to Africa or travel the world for the bizarre and strange look no further than your back yard, it's a good place to start as is this book.

Mysterious Britain
Mysterious Britain by Colin Bord (Paperback - 9 May 1995)
Used & New from: 8.46