5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read
What a fantastic, encouraging, comforting and exciting book which any open minded Christian will love. It will probably change your outlook on many things which are hard to comprehend (illness, premature death, etc). Many fundemental questions are satisfactorily answered such as 'why do so many religions exist?'
If you only ever read one book, this should be it!
Published on 17 July 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not sure about this book, but some positive reminders to help us in life
I had this book recomended to me by a person I respect quite a lot and thefore I thought I would give it a go. Firstly I am a lapsed catholic but I do still believe in a higher being whether that is God/Jesus/Holy trinity, I don't know, I just know there is something out there I also believe in an afterlife, and am interested in NDE etc. I have also lost my mum and...
Published on 5 Sep 2008 by Sam1878

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my perception of life., 2 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Embraced By The Light: What Happens When You Die? (Paperback)
This book is a silent miracle for those whom really appreciate and can understand Betty's experiences. She explains the truth and fullness of spiritual realisation so well, that words cannot describe. I have read this text several times, normally when life seems a burden or heavy and full of continuos trail. I commend Betty and thank her for sharing her thoughts with her audience. R Varma MK

3.0 out of 5 stars A good message but very flawed, 24 Feb 2013
P. Butler (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I first came across Betty J Eadie on Youtube and was impressed with her story, so I decided to go one step further, read the book and see what all the fuss was all about.

Well, I admire Betty's mission to spread the message of the importance of love and how to treat each other with kindness, but her story is tainted by her overly religious references and use of language to describe her experiences, so much so that at times I felt that I was being forced into a patronizing stance having to wearily 'read through the lines' to guess what might have been her actual experience rather than her much later religious interpretation of it, after it had morphed into her own religious consciousness through the passage of time (Betty wrote the book many years after her experience).

Surely the true beauty of these experiences would have been far better extolled if there had been less filing in with subtle religious conjecture and reference after the event, which she must have felt injected more meaning into the experiences for her personally, but must be as frustrating or disappointing to others as it was to people such as myself, who don't have a Christian belief-based frame of reference. For some people, this could even be experienced as an attempt to brain wash, as it does read like Christian propaganda at times, even when it's obvious this is just the spin she has personally placed on it.

What seems clear to me having studied different accounts of near death experiences, is that we seem to experience either what is the most comfortable for us or what our subconscious minds need to project for the experience we need to experience for our growth, in order to understand it in our own way and on our own terms, which explains why some people see Christ, others see a complex computer program, and others might meet Satan - it's like a dream in that your psyche needs to play something out in order to balance you out or bring something to light. So Betty's experience is in keeping with her religious upbringing, and even though it was harsh, she needed to experience the divine love of Jesus personally because she had never felt it but subconsciously yearned for it, as her writings tell. However, Betty has gone one step further and mixed up the subjective need to interpret it in her own way with the subjective experience itself, achieved after the passage of time and the distillation of more spiritual and life experiences, which is a double subjective whammy!

In summary, I would have had far more respect for her if she had just recounted the experiences without the Christian spin, and they would probably have had even more universal appeal and have been far more powerful in their raw form, in my opinion. But it's an enjoyable read, and moving at times, if you can get past the - sometimes dated, at other times, childlike - use of language that reads more like a children's fairy story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book ~ however a bit too Churchy - Christian skewed, 18 Mar 2013
Beautiful story but it leans toward the author's personal religious beliefs. Which is a very likely experience for a Near Death Experience for someone who is has live their own truth. The revelations on the other side will of course be seen through their perspective.

Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to believe, 23 Feb 2013
I love books of this nature and this one was ok, but I am not totally convinced that it all took place

5.0 out of 5 stars felt like 'I knew that' all the way through it, 17 Mar 2014
have read and re-read this book and given copies to many friends over the years.
each time I pick it up and read it again I get the same '... I knew that' feeling again

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 20 Dec 2013
Have read a lot of NDE and life after books, so this was a bit samey, but I guess if I had read it earlier it may have had more of an impact.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice read.. BUT.., 19 Dec 2013
DEJ1978 (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I eagerly awaited the delivery of this book after the passing of my Dad, i was hoping it would provide some comfort and answers about his final moments and his transition into the afterlife - IF there is one. The book was an enjoyable read, there was some really touching moments and it was very well written - lots of clarity and detail - BUT i found ALOT of it was about the writer's journey in finding her faith and her perspective of God. I don't at present follow a faith as such, but i am opening my eyes to the possibility of the spiritual world. I'm sorry to say that this book didn't really help me in the way i wanted it to, but that doesn't mean it won't be of comfort to others.

*EDIT* Following this book i read "Life after life" by R.Moody - WOW what a fantastic read! I have also reviewed this book on this site, and i highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 30 Dec 2012
I FOUND THIS BOOK VERY INTERESTING AND BELIEVABLE. ONLY ONE CRITICISM IS THAT THE WRITER REPEATS HERSELF A LOT SO I HAD TO SKIP SEVERAL PARAGRAPHS THAT BECAME REPETITIVE.

3.0 out of 5 stars book review, 18 May 2009
Was very impressed at how quickly the book arrived; feeling low having just a close friend I didn't want to wait too long. I would recommend the book - it has helped me move on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely of the light, 6 Sep 2009
I checked this book out from the library today after being drawn to it. I must say that this is a very beautifully written book about a woman who shared some interesting insights she gleaned from her near death experience. One of the wonderful insights that I gleaned from what she shared is on page 58 and 59 that she learns during hear near death experience that imagination is the key to reality. It was interesting for her to also note that simply by thinking positive thoughts and speaking positive words we attract positive energy. Also interesting she shares how some people come to earth with their powers of imagination already developed. She then adds detail to note that there are gifted people who are able to use their imaginations to create new things: both wonderful and its opposite. She also elaborates on this helpful tidbit by mentioning that the ones who use their gifted imaginations in positive ways to the betterment of those around them truly create joy and are blessed. She also shares other interesting information in the book. What I included in the review is just a taster. All in all I would definitely have to say that this book about her near death experience was written in an interesting way with much love and light.

ARRAY(0xa0a8aae0)

Embraced By The Light: What Happens When You Die?
Embraced By The Light: What Happens When You Die? by Betty J. Eadie (Paperback - 18 Aug 2003)
5.03