5.0 out of 5 stars Numinous depictions of Celtic spiritual experience, 23 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Greenwood Tarot (Paperback)
I am also a big fan of Chesca Potter and am fortunate enough to have several prints from this deck. I have both this deck and the Celtic Shaman's Pack. Chesca Potter is uniquely able to express the shamanic experience of ecstacy powerfully and with wonderful artistic technique in a Celtic context. She is able to express the contradictory feelings of movement and serenity, ecstacy and immanence, nature and spirit. She has a wonderful sense of color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 July 2006
Sile (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Greenwood Tarot (Paperback)
This is the only deck I have ever been able to "read" without having to read the book first. Chesca Potter's illustrations are inspiring and are full of hidden depths.

The deck uses what might be termed pre-Celtic {?} British religious symbols as well as modern pagan symbols; images of animals, landmarks, gods, goddesses, and the Green Man. The four suits are Wands, Arrows, Cups and Stones, which the authors have aligned to a different season and element on their version of the wheel of the year, around which the deck is based.

The major arcana is also different in that some cards have been altered from the traditional RW format, in both name and meaning. For instance, The Ancestor takes the place of the Heirophant, The Archer replaces the Chariot, Balance is there instead of Temperance, The Greenwoman instead of the Empress, The Greenman as the Emperor, The Blasted Oak as the Tower, and other changes.

The artwork is extraordinary and I am sorry that this deck is no longer in print. It is a great loss. There is word, from Mark Ryan's own blog, that the authors have commissioned a new illustrator to create a similar deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very strong connection, 30 Dec. 2008
Epithemus (Cambridgeshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greenwood Tarot (Paperback)
I bought this pack at a time when I didn't have any spare money. I had been using a standard Tarot pack and struggling with it, but this pack just said 'Buy me' and so I did. I have never read the book but has not stopped me as the cards' artwork tell me stories which I interpret for the person I read for.

I still feel connected to this pack even after 12 yrs. The artwork is amazing and I have Chesca Potter's Celtic Shamans pack as well (I also didn't realise that Mark Ryan used to be Fazia in Robin of Sherwood that used to be on ITV).

The Greenwood Tarot
The Greenwood Tarot by Chesca Potter (Paperback - 21 Oct. 1996)
Used & New from: £262.90