Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 December 2009
I'm interested in events that took place in and around the Ypres salient in WW1. I bought this book to assist me in research before going to Ypres and whilst there (in a camper). We stayed for 3 days and realised that it wasn't enough.
The book made it clear what happened during the 1st battle and we used it to do a cycle tour of the historic places of interest.
Since our visit I have bought Major Holt's book and map, during 2010 we will re-visit Ypres for our second visit to dig a bit deeper into the area.
If you are going to Ypres and are interested in WW1 I recommend this book, it contains many photos, battle maps and essential information.
on 17 August 2012
Not a bad background to the campaign. This was enough background before I go on a battlefield tour. Maps OK but not as good as oyther Osprey books. Good ilustrations.
on 9 July 2014
Excellent reference work . . . Very useful for Great War Centenary projects. Art work somewhat naive.
on 11 May 2009
Goes into a lot of detail and good if you want to know all about the battle, but useless if using the guide to travel to the region which we did and explore the area. Local maps are far better.