5.0 out of 5 stars Top book
A brilliant book for teachers and trainees, loads of ideas for mental/oral starters and even plenaries and especially for the kinaesthetic learners.
I have used this with year 4 but it is just as useful right the way through Primary.
Published on 1 May 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Mental Maths
I didn't use this boo as I felt the good suggestions in it I was already using and I was looking for something a bit more fresh.
Published 16 months ago by sheilab

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book, 1 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fizz Buzz: 101 Spoken Numeracy Games - Ideal for Mental Maths (Paperback)
Some of the games are very simple and importantly this book requires no special equipment, often no equipment at all. I really can't recommend this enough. It has been totally invaluable for my placement and I will continue to use it when I qualify.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book, 1 May 2003
By A Customer
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, 2 Sep 2007
This book is certainly worth the money! I would recommend it for any teacher - I've been teaching for 9 years and there were lots of new ideas in here I will be using. Highly practical, (and above all fun), games are in it. Great for your auditory and kinesthetic learners. Very easy to read. Sections are separated well. A book to have on your desk ready for any maths lesson!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly useful, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Fizz Buzz 2 (Paperback)
There are some very good games in this book, and I would recommend it to my colleagues everywhere. My only gripe is this very minor one:
the blurb for the book says that no special equipment is needed to play these games; equipment is certainly needed for a number of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent games for oral/mental starters!, 8 Jun 2011
I have used this with my mixed age (and very mixed ability) Y4, 5 and 6 class. They love some of these games! A range of strategies are used to make mental maths interesting (no more sitting at a desk mindlessly chanting multiplicatio tables). It uses a variety of approaches - visual, aural and kinaesthetic. Each activity is classified according to which aspect of the numeracy strategy it links with and includes suggestions for the following strands - Using and applying, counting and understanding number, knowing and understanding number facts and calculating. Each activity is carefully explained and approximate timings for each are given. Some activities are easier than others and as always - some will become firm favourites, whilst others will fall by the wayside.
This is an excellent starting point for developing your own activities - we have extended some of these to include musical instruments and even a rap!
It also serves as a useful basis for asking children to develop and produce their own mental/oral starter activities and games.

In summary - a useful resource to have on the shelf, but especially useful when used as a starting point for developing your own activities. It provides some time-filler activities for those spare minutes when the Vicar is late for morning assembly. Some of the more "static" activities can be used on coach trips - it beats
having to listen to "the wheels on the bus!"

4.0 out of 5 stars good for large groups, 4 Nov 2012
Vhoenen (wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this because the reviews seemed pretty good. It does have a lot of interesting looking games that would make math much more fun. However most of the games require larger groups. As I home educate my children, and was looking for a book I could use at home with them, this book didn't fulfill my requirements. I have kept it to hopefully be able to use it and HE meetups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with fun games, 21 Aug 2012
I bought this book to help give me some ideas for maths starters. After flicking through the book, I think it will be ideal for shorter and longer games. I have bought similar books in the past and found that they were not fun or inspiring, and that all the games were alike (e.g. one game had been adapted and counted as 20 other games). However, this book is fun and inspiring, as it has lots of different ideas and games, which are set out in categories, such as rapid mental recall of number facts, solving problems, etc. In all I am very pleased with this book and its variety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fizz buzz 2, 7 April 2010
J. Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fizz Buzz 2 (Paperback)
This arrived in the specified time and is full of good ideas which I think you can do with a class with very little preparation

5.0 out of 5 stars some great games for lesson starters, 2 Jan 2013
A great book with lots of good games for playing with children to re-inforce mathematical concepts in a fun way.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 17 Dec 2013
packed full of lots of brilliant and fun ideas and perfect to fill my morning maths slot!

Fizz Buzz: 101 Spoken Numeracy Games - Ideal for Mental Maths