5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great!
As a teacher with a special interest in learning difficulties,I am amazed and slightly ashamed that I have only just come across the excellent "Ace Spelling Dictionary". I tried it last night with a child I have known since the age of 8 who has had specific difficulties in spelling since starting school (he is now 13). Within half an hour he could find virtually any word...
Published on 7 Mar 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars can see the point
Got this as part of my dyslexia audit for school. Can't see the point of it. Seems so complicated to use that there is no way on earth that a dyslexic 7 year old would get to grips with it.
Published 17 months ago by D. Mellor

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is fantastic!, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: ACE Spelling Dictionary (Paperback)
My nine year old daughter is awful at spelling so I bought this book on the recommendation of a "spelling problems" website. I personally thought it was very complicated to use but my daughter found it really easy & could use it within five minutes. She was using it for fun to spell random words before school today(correctly I might add!)- this is unheard of for her & then she took it to school! Dont be put off by the book seeming complicated - its not written for those of us who can spell - it seems to hook directly into the way non spellers think & almost speaks to them in their language. It works!

5.0 out of 5 stars a dictionary that really works for kids who can sound out but not spell, 6 Jan 2009
S. L. Bronzite (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ACE Spelling Dictionary (Paperback)
how I wish I had known about this years ago. I too am a primary school teacher, albeit a newly qualified one, who has never seen this used with the many children who struggle with literacy. what this book does is help you find the correct spelling for any word that you can sound out (it doesn't provide definitions as a standard dictionary would). in order to be able to use it a child needs to recognise letters and know what sounds they make; understand alphabetical order; and be able to split words up into sounds (ie to know that cat is 'ker ah ter') I found it by chance through a catalogue, and bought it for my nine-year-old son, who can spell phonetically but not correctly (eg shal rather than shall, sinermn rather than cinnamon, etc). it is FANTASTIC! we tried out some easy words to start with, then some nasty ones (eg dinosaur, sausage, august). on each try, he followed the simple rules, and ... bingo, it worked every time. where there is more than one word with the same sound (eg read/reed), it gives you enough info on each word to be able to choose the one you meant. it is incredibly empowering, and has built his confidence enormously. I will definitely be buying this as a classroom resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd known about it years ago!, 13 July 2008
This review is from: ACE Spelling Dictionary (Paperback)
I have been teaching children who struggle with literacy for several years now and have been longing for a tool just like this. One child in my class who struggles enormously with spelling was able to master this system within 5 minutes. He said "This is a magic book". It has changed the way he and many other children in my class feel about spelling. An invaluable tool. As a school we have purchased one for every class and several for our 'underachievers' classes. I can't recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyslexic user rates it., 8 Mar 2008
Emmelina Audigier (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ACE Spelling Dictionary (Paperback)
I have been using this book for about 15 years now and it has made a huge impact on my life. As aomeone who is unable to find words the regular way, i was overjoyed to be introduced to this book. i am about to buy my third copy as i have accepted a job as a receptionist and have decided to keep one at work. this is a must for anyone who has difficulty with their spellings.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brillaint spelling aid, 7 Sep 2009
if your like me your dyslexic or just cant spell this is invaluable its so easy and unlike a normal dictionary you dont need to know how to spell. for perants looking at getting this for a child i woud defently recomend it i had one as a child but lost it as a student at uni.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will pass it on to EVERYONE!!, 22 July 2011
I am 16 and serverly dyslexic. I had a scribe in my GCSE's but for my coursework and general class work this was the best thing I could of wished for! It's really easy to use and it doesn't just show you how to spell the word like a normal dictonary when you have to have a vague idea of how the words spelt,it uses phonetics and it teached me to spell them too. I honestly belive it's what helped me through secondary school. I recomend it strongly to people with dyslexia.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for anyone who struggles with dictionarys or is dyslexic, 20 Jun 2011
Mr. Greig Addison "greig addison" (aberdeen, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ACE Spelling Dictionary (Paperback)
Arrived very quickly and is so easy to use. I like it because of the phonetical way of the words, great for someone who struggles with an ordinary dictionary or like me who is dyslexic, it doesn't have meanings just the spellings, which is fine for my needs. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Spelling Dictionary, 25 Sep 2010
This is a great book for any child let alone a child who has difficulty with spelling. If you can't spell a word you will have great difficulty using a traditional dictionary. This system makes so much sense and is easy. It also teaches some basics of word formation and phonics along the way. I was very impressed and my son liked it too.
Definitely worth purchasing if you are considering a dictionary for a child or adult who has difficulty using a traditional dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Spelling Dictionary, 21 Aug 2009
J. Meo (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic for those who have difficulty using a traditional style dictionary to locate words that they don't know how to spell. The clear lessons at the front show how to use the book and are easy to master. Once you know how to use it the dictionary is a breeze to use and it still means that you are using dictionary skills too. My students love using it because they can find what they are looking for.ACE Spelling Dictionary

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 9 Nov 2013
i love it
does what it says on the box
arrived quickly good quality good price what more can you ask for

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

ACE Spelling Dictionary
ACE Spelling Dictionary by David Moseley (Paperback - Feb 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01