on 9 July 2006
I have had this book for over 10 years and have not tired of it, it is a seriously brilliant encyclopaedia of a cookbook and one I would not be without. The book, originally published in two volumes, is in two parts Eastern Vegetarian Cooking and An Invitation to Indian Cooking.

Although known for her Indian cookery Madhur Jaffrey is a great guide for the cuisines of the east, see also Far Eastern Cookery, she has obviously travelled extensively and loves the food. You really get a sense that the recipes in the book are there because they tasted great and that really is the point, cook what you love to eat. For me that is pretty much everything in this book; great Japanese, Thai, Indian, Indonesian, Korean and Middle Eastern recipes all in one volume. The weighty book is made easy to use with a clear and practical structure and easy to follow recipes, accompanied by the occasional line drawings to point the way. Another plus is that this book has an A-Z vegetable section making it easier to find recipes for what is in season now - 7 recipes for green beans, 5 for courgettes brilliant- and useful when there's a glut.

Its only lack is that there are no photographs of the food, but then that leaves more room in the 850 pages for recipes.
on 31 December 2009
I bought two of these as Christmas presents, for my son and daughter. It's a book I've been using for at least fifteen years, and whatever I cook from it always draws compliments. It's a huge book, with more recipes than I'll probably ever cook. The recipes are easy to follow,(although I find that they all seem to call for LOTS of oil, and it really isn't necessary: I rarely use more than one dessert spoonful), and although the ingredient lists can seem long in some of them, you soon get used to what your favourites are, and just keep a stock of them. I'd been looking for this book for ages, and thought it must be out of print. It's wonderful.
on 27 November 2009
This book is incredibly comprehensive and the recipes are easy to understand and follow with the excellent layout making it easy to find recipes to suit either an occasion or a main ingredient. My only very minor criticism would be that a few pictures would have enhanced the publication, but I guess that would have increased the price so I'm reasonably happy without!
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2012
This second hand book is in very good condition, and is massive !! in fact it would take me a week to get through from cover to cover, but I have made a good start ! I love Madhur Jaffreys' books, they are so clear and easy to read, and this one is a gem.
Her recipes are absolutely delicious, that is of course if you love eating Indian and Asian food, which I do. The ingredients are relatively easy to come by in the many Indian shops, and if you have any difficulty getting them, there is always ebay !!!
Also there is a terrific range of Vegetarian recipes, again delicious and simple to make, and you don't have to be a veggie to eat them, believe me I make them all the time. Do try her chicken recipes, chicken curries to die for, and not too hot either, a dear Indian friend once told me that only in the very hot parts of that continent do they have hot curries. Up the north of India the food is just slightly hot and extra delicious.
There,if that doesn't convince you to try her recipes...I give up !!!!
Happy cooking !
Ros Moore
on 6 March 2015
Madhur is always good, but a more old style print ie the paper is cheap and the the pictures are hand drawn, not for a cook who likes their illustrations and glossy pages
on 10 October 2010
This book really opened my eyes not just to Indian cookery (it doesn't even need to be hot 'n' spicy!) but also to vegetables (pick any vegetable and she has 4 or 5 ways of making it taste totally different) and to spices (she explains how using a spice whole or ground or using it at different stages of a recipe totally alters its effect). Madhur Jaffrey has a rare talent in communicating a joy in food and the way she puts some of the recipes into the context of her travels or childhood really draws you in and adds an extra layer of interest to the book. I now think totally differently about dinner, I understand ingredients much better and feel more confident all the time about creating new dishes myself. This book is so much more than just a collection of so many recipes you'll never be able to make them all, it's a book you'll treasure and go back to your whole life.
on 18 June 2015
As far as recipes and Indian cuisine are concerned, it could be said that Madhur Jaffrey is India's answer to Mrs Beaton. This is not a coffee table book, this is simply a working cookery book with no illustrations, but with hundreds of great recipes. An excellent book, but then anything by Madhur Jaffrey is never anything less. If you love good food, if you love Indian food, if you love cooking, then this book is for you.
on 26 May 2013
It's Madhur Jaffrey. The first and the best.This a really old book. There are no photographs and I know some people can't cook without pictures. But I've found recipes in here that I can't find anaywhere else. This book is jam packed with genuine Indian home cooking. At least half of the recipes are vegetarian and many are vegan. Bought to replace a copy lost in a fire. and highly recommended.
on 4 January 2016
Jaffrey's first book on Indian cooking when she came to the UK, it now looks old-fashioned and the cooking style has been superseded by more modern takes on Indian cuisine. However, it does contain some excellent dishes - try the mushrooms with cumin and asafoetida. I can't complain about the value at 1p.
on 20 November 2012
This is an excellent book although it lacks illustration amply makes up for that with simple to create curries and sundry dishes. I have been a fan of the author for years and her recipes actually taste as good as they sound.