5.0 out of 5 stars From Theory to Reality
Published on 7 Jan. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy reference - that's it though...
I believe this book is intended as a companion to a series of ABRSM workbooks. It can be very confusing at times, with not enough examples. I couldn't help feeling slightly suspicous that it was deliberately vague at times so that the student would need to go out and purchase each of the workbooks aswell.
I'd advise against purchasing this if you are starting from...
Published on 31 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars From Theory to Reality, 7 Jan. 2001
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
In this book Eric Taylor sets about translating the language of musical theory into one that the whole world can understand. By the use of simple comparisons and memorable analagies he explores the basics of music theory up to the level which allows a progressing musician to deepen their comprehension of musical understanding. Before I began to read this book it was on the purely technical basis that if I could pass the exam I could sit exams higher than grade five, but once I had started reading I found that it was surprisingly interesting and easy to understand, qualities that I would accredit mainly to the simpistic language and the relaxed style of explaining something that I thought I would never be able to understand. The book is very clearly set out, broken down into small sections progressing in difficulty but keeping still a strong feeling of continuity which I think can be one of the difficulties with such a topic. Illustraing almost each topic with at least one simple and well annotated diagram breaks up the reading into smaller more digestible parts like choruses acting each as interludes between the verses of a song. Eric taylor has certainly made a huge difference to my life as having passed the grade five theory with no teacher and no previous knowledge of the subject I am now going on to study for my grade eight in singing and hope to sing ad teach one day. I would reccomend this book for reading by anyone at all studying music theory. It should always be at hand whenever you are doing anything musical and should act as your bible - well, musically speaking of course!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 28 Mar. 2008
J. Austin "cloudgirl" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
This book explains music theory so clearly that even a complete beginner like me can grasp it easily and quickly. He does not overwhelm you with too much at once, just one tiny simple step built upon another. This is one of the hallmarks of a good teacher, that he can put himself in the shoes of a total novice and 'forget' everything that he knows so well that it is second nature and see it once again through the eyes of a newcomer to the subject.

I've been struggling with the Idiot's Guide To Music theory and found it really hard going. You are given too much too quickly and it's brain clanging. I'm glad I only got it from the library and did not actually buy it. As for this book it was bought from Waterstones and worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference for Music Theory, 6 Dec. 2002
Rudiments of theory have never been so well explained since the first volume of the AB guide to music theory. The Second volume of this guide builds on the first as well as introducing new concepts such as 'Modern Developments in Music', 'Instruments in Combination' and many aspects of melody and harmonies.

The book consists of eleven chapters, divided into subsections, and four appendices. It is very easy to use and contains a lot of hard to find information and many useful examples. Most of the Italian, German and French performance directions that you may ever need are listed in the back of the first volume, but the second volume offers more technical guide lines for performance such as various clefs and Roman Numerals for chord inversions.
As a student of music myself I have found this book useful on several occasions and it has saved me hours of research and learning through trial and error!
This book is a must for anyone with a genuine interest in music, any avid composers or anyone taking The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music examinations; theory or practical.
I would highly recommend this book and other books by Eric Taylor as they are competitively priced and invaluable for serious musicians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music Theory, 27 July 2009
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
I bought this to compliment my music lessons. It covers music theory up to grade 6. However, I found First Steps in Music Theory also by Eric Taylor more useful if you are taking the ABRSM theory exams.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely outstanding book, 22 May 2003
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
Without a doubt, the best possible guide to Grade 5 theory. This guide provided clear and concise explanations for grade 5 theory exam. However, it can be a bit confusing at time, and it is therefore better used as a reference book to complement classes from someone that's already done the exam. Of course, it is also imperative to have some practise papers to understand the kind of things you need in the exam!

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy reference - that's it though..., 31 May 2005
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
I'd advise against purchasing this if you are starting from scratch, with no prior knowledge of music theory. Buy the workbooks instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars pocket full of theory., 27 Mar. 2010
TheRedBlueBlur (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
This little book is THE book for music theory. I bought it to help me understand theory in relation to the guitar, but it will cover all instruments I guess.
This is a fantastic book covering everything you need to know about the fundamentals of music theory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Music Theory in Practice booklets, 30 Nov. 2014
Cam (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
This book was invaluable for passing my theory gradings 1-5, though I did use the Part 2 for grades 5 and up work (so I felt the pink and blue books crossed over for grade 5).
Some chapters were hard going at first, but I used this in combination with the Music Theory in Practice grade booklets which you can write in to practise what you're learning. Using both this 'AB Guide to Music Theory' & the 'Practice' booklets is what got me through the exams, but even more importantly, got me understanding music theory!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for reference, 20 July 2009
P. Johnstone (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
As others have said, I tend to use this as a reference rather than for tuition. Does seem to assume you will purchase the exercise books as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Informative but dry, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 (Sheet music)
Contains all the theory I need to know but it is written in a very dry and quite uninteresting way. Lots of information put together and I found sections on chords,for example, confusing. I have seen other books which give more examples and explain it in a simpler way.

Probably this book is great if you study with a teacher and you need a small revision book, but to learn and really understand the theory with just this book is quite hard, and very boring.

The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1
The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 by Eric Taylor (Sheet music - 20 July 1989)