5.0 out of 5 stars This play is and was truly epic!
Published on 18 Jan 2008 by Robbie Swale

3.0 out of 5 stars Great play, shame about the build quality
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by S. Brearley

5.0 out of 5 stars This play is and was truly epic!, 18 Jan 2008
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: His Dark Materials - The Play (Nick Hern Books) (Paperback)
This is the script for the theatre production of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, as produced in its second run at the Royal National Theatre, London. I was lucky enough to see the first production, and was blown away by the scale of the production, the brilliance of the actors, and the way the show whisked you through Pullman's epic trilogy. And when I say whisked, it was two plays, each of three hours!

The script itself gives you an idea of the sort of speed that the production had. In order to get through the whole story, no time is wasted, and I'd be interested to know if you would be lost having not seen it before. Some parts are cut or altered by necessity (the largest edit is to remove Dr Mary Malone completely), but the general themes and the emotional strength is still there.

If you are buying as a fan for a read, you'll be interested by this, and it certainly conjures up some memories - I very much enjoyed my imagination filling in the gaps around the scenes that unfold here. If you're buying it to put this production on, I'd love to see it! It was written for the Olivier Theatre stage, which has a spectacular revolving section in the floor which also goes up and down allowing the scenes to change very fast, to keep the pace moving. As it is unlikely you will be performing it there, some serious suspension of disbelief will be needed, and some serious cutting. Having said that, Nicholas Wright says in his introduction that he thinks it would be possible. It would certainly be an amazing production to be a part of.

I love the play, though, and can see good use for it - there are some great speeches, you could edit it into plays of the three books, and you could use it as a starting point to create a 'Reduced Shakespeare Company'-type production. I also love the stories, and loved the production. Therefore five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant adaptation, 3 Mar 2013
Is it my love for the books or a masterful stage adaptation - would love to see this staged in Sweden.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Dark Materials, 18 Oct 2010
This script arrived in wonderful condition, and the delievery was a day earlier than expected.

I am an actor and am always looking for interesting monologues to take to auditions. I have been searching for a fantasy peice - so I was delighted to come across His Dark Materials.
I would strongly recommend this to other actors looking for similar material, or anyone just looking for a good script to read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great play, shame about the build quality, 17 Oct 2009
S. Brearley (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this playscript for my daughter who is in a production of the play and the book fell to pieces at the first rehearsal. Amazon are replacing it (thanks Amazon) and I wouldn't have mentioned the problem if it weren't that another child in the play also bought the book and hers fell apart too. There is clearly a faulty batch out there so if you get one, make sure you let the publishers know.
However I can't fault the content: the cast are thoroughly enjoying themselves and the director says it's the best script for young people she's ever come across.

ARRAY(0xa7e7f48c)

His Dark Materials - The Play (Nick Hern Books)
His Dark Materials - The Play (Nick Hern Books) by Nicholas Wright (Paperback - 26 Nov 2004)
8.99