4.0 out of 5 stars A departure for Churchill, but a welcome one., 14 Feb 2001
Mr Mark A Roberts (Kenilworth, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Skriker (Paperback)
Apparently the Skriker was many years in the making for Churchill. This tale of the "Damaged Fairy" and her manipulations of two young women is fantastic. The text is a stream of consciousness in places, and contains some of the most difficult stage directions I have ever seen in a play, but it is none the less an incredibly well written piece. See if you can work out if the baby really is a changeling. I have my answer. It lies in Lily's decendants in the last scene. Do you homework.

5.0 out of 5 stars A richly textured delight!, 17 July 2008
VC Cox (Greater Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Skriker (Paperback)
I studied this play at university along with Top Girls and, at first, I thought I hated it. Getting to grips with the dense stream of consciousness dialogue was initially daunting, but luckily I have a keen interest in folklore and was able to make sense of all the layers of meaning hidden within the speech. Ultimately, I found the literary devices used complimented the very nature of the story and felt myself drawn into this world where fable and urban decay clash together with a resounding clatter. Perhaps not one for everyone, but all those who love a dark fairytale should certainly seek it out.

The Skriker
The Skriker by Caryl Churchill (Paperback - 17 Feb 1994)
7.35