5.0 out of 5 stars The little CBT workbook is exactly that!
Published on 17 Mar. 2012 by Anouska Longley

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for those new to CBT and has some simple ...
Useful for those new to CBT and has some simple exercises for the beginner but not much use for anyone with a bit of knowledge about this subject
Published 10 months ago by Gwen Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars The little CBT workbook is exactly that!, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Little CBT Workbook (Paperback)
This authors of this book have successfully managed to compile and present enough information relating to CBT in terms of what CBT means and how to use CBT to improve quality of life and functioning. The book guides the reader through the basic principles highlighting how perspective influences mood and behaviour, before gradually explaining thinking styles in more depth. They have provided enough simple everyday examples, illustrations and visual diagrams to help he reader comprehend concepts raised.

The chapters follow in a structured step by step format and distinguishing the four main areas of functioning: cognition, emotion, physiological states and behaviours and the relationship between these four areas of functioning. The authors are successful in breaking the cognitions chapters down into defining thinking styles, explaining the connection between thoughts and feelings before introducing common thinking errors. The then introduce the relationship between activating events, beliefs and interpretations and consequences of events which nicely leads on to what to do to change the way we feel, we need to focus on unhelpful thoughts and behaviours.

The book present behaviours in terms of `wellness' and promoting a positive message about behaviour modification, focusing on behaviour activation and activity planning, increasing pleasurable and mastery tasks, before moving on to overcoming fear and managing anxiety.

The little CBT workbook is exactly what is says, a small, compact workbook encompassing all the major principles of CBT in an easy and digestive read, avoiding the unnecessary use of psycho-babble and complicated jargon. This would be an ideal book for anyone new to CBT, for those who may have had some experience yet want to cement their knowledge, or for those who are keen to engage in guided self-help. As the information is presented clearly, you could pick this up and put it down and focus on one section at a time without feeling daunted by the mass of text and pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool and a an eye opener for me, 14 Jun. 2012
John W. Edelman (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book with a certain amount of cynicism as I had heard about CBT, but felt that words alone were hardly likely to be able to solve problems. It just shows how wrong (and arrogant) I was. I found that some the techniques suggested worked immediately. This book also made me realise that some of the negative thoughts and "blues" that I get,were shared with other people. I rather stupidly thought I was the only one. I have to say this book has been a bit of a revelation. I am sure there is a lot more to CBT than could possibly be contained in its covers but as an introduction I doubt it could be bettered.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only tool to solve all your problems (anxiety, depression etc.), 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Little CBT Workbook (Paperback)
I'd been battling with anxiety/depression problems really bad for two years and my feelings had always jumped up and down, seeing a realistic therapist helped, but then sometimes I would think I was feeling better, but worry that the thoughts and feelings were just going to come back, even though I knew that these thoughts or problems were my own. Sounds confusing, but I was confused too.

That was until I stumbled upon this book, I was feeling fed up, fed up of trying everything and finding that nothing was working. So I said to myself, why not give it a go and see what happens, if it doesn't work then I'll carry on the way I have been and hope for the best.

Wow, without even trying I instantly noticed a difference, I think the 'workbook' style of this book is ideal as it takes the emphasis off of doing it for someone else, you're doing it for yourself and when you start to feel better it makes you feel even more amazing because you got there on your own, rather than with someone else's help (at least directly anyhow).

The book is quick and straightforward to work through and the layout leaves you looking forward to filling it in once you start to identify your problems. Because here, instead of denying them (which is what I thought was the way through it) you accept them and solve them, or at least come to see them in a much better way!

I strongly recommend picking up this book if you're feeling at your wits end (or even if you're just curious), I once thought you had to change the world around you in order to feel good, or even normal, but now I understand, it isn't the world that needs to change, its you.

I wish everyone taking this step the best of luck, and remember you're not alone, take all the time you need and you'll soon be free and happy.

Enjoy loving life again, I know I will!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, user friendly and pocket sized!, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Little CBT Workbook (Paperback)
This is a really clearly written and well laid out book that takes you through a step-by-step approach to gaining control of your life and difficulties. It manages a brilliant balance between being easy to use and understand without being patronising or making promises that it can't deliver.

Really excellent - can't recommend it enough - and it is pocket sized too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee pick me up!, 15 May 2012
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read and studied a number of books on CBT which I believe can be a very powerful set of principles and techniques to help people like me who are often guided by their emotions - I work with teenagers with social, emotional and behavioural problems too and these techniques can be a Godsend. The problem I have encountered, however, is that the books can be quite complicated, a strenuous read with lots and lots of theory and sometimes you can even be bogged down by the number of exercises - both written and practical.
On the contrary, this wee book is amazing! The theory is clear, precise and specific and extremely accessible. The exercises are also to the point and really do work. Since I bought this I have read it but also regularly dip into this for certain areas where I need help or wish to help others.Obviously the detail isn't extensive or definitive but it is a very good summary and the contents are useful and applicable. I would say that this wee book would be life changing for many people and I thoroughly recommend it. It is well written, easy to read and understand and, most importantly, easy to apply. And it works! I've been so impressed I've also bought the Little NLP Workbook which I have still to read.
Go ahead, buy this, for the money, it can only do you good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just enough CBT to make a difference to your life!, 24 May 2012
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many self-help books fail by being too long, complicated or requiring too much commitment. This pocket-sized guide is concise and divided into very manageable chunks which you can dip in and out of, although it's arranged as a course you can work through from beginning top end.

It's still backed up by solid CBT theory and gives extremely practical advice despite the small size. CBT is explained by way of a great short introduction, and throughout the book, there is ample clear explanation of how the techniques and exercises work to help tackle anxiety. Without bogging you down in reams of theory, there's just enough CBT here to improve your life without reading volumes and volumes.

I really liked the workbook format, which has you filling in exercises based on your real day-to-day life. There's little better way to apply it directly to your own situation than working through the exercises methodically like this.

In short, it's a highly practical and helpful guide - great for little and big worriers alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent tool!, 1 May 2012
This review is from: The Little CBT Workbook (Paperback)
This is a great resource off the shelf, as well as for psychologists and other health professionals looking for a self-help guide to recommend, or use as an adjunct to a therapeutic intervention. As a practitioner I find myself regularly providing clients with hand-outs and worksheets that explain the principles of CBT and help them to start applying them. Often to be able to provide a workbook alongside treatment prevents the added problem for clients of paper management. However, the problem with most self-help guides or workbooks is that they are too long, too short, too detailed, too specific, or require too much time commitment from clients who are already feeling overwhelmed by demands.

This book is not much bigger than a CD and can be carried around easily so it is accessible. It contains the essential information on CBT without jargon and in bite sized chapters. The layout of the book is user friendly and language is not overly complex, therefore it is not overwhelming for the individual. There are not lengthy forms for individuals to get to grips with; it is more like a guided notebook. This begins the process of normalising problems. It provides an explanation of CBT that can be applied to all areas of an individual's life and includes case examples to exemplify without being excessive. The information contained could usefully serve as session summaries for those in treatment or helpful guidance and pointers for those who are in need of new strategies for coping with day to day life. In addition there is signposting to other sources of help.

The book intends to act as a workbook, not a reference text for where the ideas come from or who first thought of them, and it achieves exactly this. This enables it to be accessible to a range of client groups. The approach taken in the workbook makes it compatible across a range of cognitive behavioural therapies and therefore, can offer a general practical guide to coping with a range of problems irrespective of model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy pocketsize introduction to CBT, 1 May 2012
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent little workbook that's easy to read because of it's "no-nonsense and no-jargon" approach. CBT isn't just for people with problems it's a therapy that's relevant to everyone because it helps you to understand how powerful your thought processes are and just how they control your emotions and behaviours. Negative experience leads to negative thought, negatvie thought leads to negative lifestyle situations, depression, anxiety., etc. This workbook is only small but it's full of basic exercises aimed at helping you to recognise the negative thought porcesses that are preventing you from achieving what it is you want to achieve, and maybe dragging you down. The exercises are written in a way that's incredibly easy to follow but; they do require you to look quite deeply into yourself which isn't always easy. I'd say that this little CBT workbook is an excellent introduction to the therapy but it's by no means a miracle cure. If it's taken years to learn negative thought then it's going to take a long time to learn the necessary new skills you need to turn that negativity into something positive. A good place to start but you need a lot of patience.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real tool for transformation, 30 Aug. 2012
D Webster "djelly" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a little gem of a book. The examples of unhelpful thinking are actual scenarios it is easy to remember yourself in and your take at the time. Although I was sent this book for review, I did feel that I have not and am not in need of CBT at the moment as I identified with the more self-accepting examples. This did not detract however from my viewpoint about its value.

I immediately felt the book would be perfect for a friend who is prey to knocking his head against a wall type of behaviour at times of frustration. He is reading it on daily basis and already cites it as a reason for hope. I am planning on doing at least some of the exercises myself as I feel quite fascinated by them. Although my friend has not finished the workbook yet he already has confidence that this is going to help shift his negative thinking patterns. Altogether, a real transformational tool that is accesible yet not patronising or jargon filled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Left with a real understanding of CBT and how to apply it.., 17 May 2012
OrganicGreen "Knowledge is King and books a g... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have suffered server depression in my life. I have used CBT skills learnt from books to treat this myself without having to go onto medication. It is very easy to read and compact so you have store it anywhere like your handbang. As it is well layed out on the page with many diagrams and slit into manageable chunks it is very much not daunting to to read. The exercises are easy to follow and does the trick. CBT helps you to see where your thinking that is making you depressed is going wrong and helps you to find better ways of thinking about things.

CBT has in the past helped in to over home server depressions and I am always looking for great books to add and make sure I don't return to my old ways of thinking. So far I have been doing well and this book will add to my CBT books collection.

The Little CBT Workbook
The Little CBT Workbook by Belinda Hollingsworth (Paperback - 15 Feb. 2012)