Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2013
I'm afraid I gave up on this halfway through - as other reviews have stated, it's more a summary than anything, and doesn't really go into enough depth to make it interesting, and I was glad I only bought it because it was £1.

I'm going to have to agree with other reviewers - Rachel was pregnant quite a lot of the time but I found that and her constant "more of that in Chapter 13" a little annoying after a while. I was quite shocked how openly she will name drop to those who have upset or crossed her, including one chap who passed away, so can't defend himself, and affectionate to those who were not - a little too gushing in places, and as a female I really wanted to respect Rachel.

As someone in business, and a fan of Dragon's Den, I was looking forward to something with at least a little more depth, but given that the copy I bought was around an inch thick, it was only because the pages have very generous margins.

Generally a good overview of how the mighty fall - and get back up again, a very easy read (if you stick with it) but I feel could have been much better.
on 17 July 2008
Really enjoyed this book - I like reading collections of business experiences and it's inspiring to read about when things haven't gone to plan. It's engaging and as others have mentioned, hard to put down.
Rachel is refreshingly candid about her experiences in business - including the Red Letter Day problems.
on 12 September 2008
I have read a lot of business books but few are as inspiring as this especially coming during a time I was experiencing a crisis...the book gave me the needed energy to push forward and fight..truly God sent
on 14 May 2008
I was one of the people who turned up at Rachel's book launch and reading last Friday May the 11th and I was really looking forward to reading her book. I am now reading through it a second time and I would like to say a big thank you to Rachel for writing what has to be one of the best business books of the year. I think that it should be compulsory reading for all wannabe entrepreneurs, MBAs and other business students, as it covers the practicalities, the dos and don'ts of a business, from start up to exit.
on 12 July 2008
An interesting book on the surface but frustrating to read, as she just doesn't go into enough detail on the issues the entrepreneurs had and how they over came them to be really useful. I've also got to say some of Rachel's comments i.e. on doing business internationally don't seem relevant as by her own admission - she's never done it!
If your looking for a good book on business nightmares try 'boo hoo', James Dysons 'Against all odds' or 'Anyone can do it' the coffee republic story, these are all great!
on 13 September 2008
I read the first half of this book very quickly and found some interesting insights into the world of business. It did, however, lack detail, which was frustrating at times and I got VERY sick of the words "my own business, RED LETTER DAYS" which seemed to occur about 5 times a page. Anyone reading it would have known about Red Letter Days, and if you didn't, you would have done after the first page, so repeating it did get a little tiresome.

Otherwise, a reasonable read which passed the hours! The best bit was the part about energy (needing lots of it) and how to avoid situations and people that sap your reserves. Useful advice!
on 30 January 2011
This is a very accessible book. Almost too accessible. I managed to read it in a couple of return train journeys (4 hours). It doesn't give a warts an all insight to business nightmares but as a high level skim read I suppose it is interesting enough.
The language used is not necessarily that sophisticated, which I think probably underlines the target audience for this book - not serious entrepreneurs, but merely those interested in a summary background to to some of the more highly visible failures of businesses.

Still, fairly enjoyable and good to see that the author is in an altogether better place."
on 25 August 2010
This is an excellent book, coming from a far more positive angle than the title might suggest.

Rachel's style is light and engaging, weaving useful hints and tips seamlessly into each of the stories. The end of each chapter contains excellent bullet points which summarise the lessons to be learned; there were many real gems of information here.

I've read quite a few other books (about a dozen) on the subject of entrepreneurs and businesses and this is, honestly, the best one I've read so far.
on 24 August 2011
I'm so pleased that someone had the common sense to write on this subject.
So many books are all gung-ho ego-trips, telling you how they succeeded. Inspiring stuff, but life ain't like that.

I take my hat of to Rachel Elnaugh for her candid descriptions of failure and rejection in business.
What doesn't kill you makes you wiser.
Don't reinvent the wheel: read this book and learn from Rachel's experience (it'll be much cheaper).
on 11 August 2008
This is a good and honest book, which goes someway to explain some of the problems faced by a variety of entrepreneurs. The author explains through example, what problems were faced by entrepreneurs, and how they overcame them. The only negative comment I would have,was the lack of detail, and depth in the problems faced by the entreprenuers. Still none the less a useful book if you are about to start up on your own.