on 27 November 2003
While this book covers alot of information about taking a gap year, it makes it sound about as interesting as watching paint dry. The information it contains is very well researched and you can get alot of good ideas from here but it makes it sound so uninteresting. The setout is such that after a while, you're mind begins to wander off and think about other things. Photos, cartoons, even a change of font would make this a better buy. If you're looking for a decent book about taking a gap year, try "The Virgin Traveller's Handbook" or "Before you Go." You'll enjoy it alot more!
on 4 January 2002
My niece is taking a gap year and I wanted to help her out.
This book was wonderfully well organised so that she was led through all the main issues to be considered before taking a year out and how these should be dealt with.
Furthermore, the book was stuffed full of ideas, activities and contact organisations so that we were able to find the best jobs and adventures to fill a year off productively.
on 20 June 2008
I bought this for our daughter when she announced she was off round the world. She did not bother to read it, but I did.

It's packed with practical, good advice and information and I learned a lot of things which I subsequently used for gentle steerage..... and cued me up to look into insurance, ticketing, vaccinations and visas a bit more deeply.

This well written, easily digestible book helped the whole process and by telling you how it is, took a lot of the mystery and uncertainty out of the planning process.

As a parent I felt slightly more prepared than I otherwise would have done, and less stressed while she was away. However it does not offer advice on what to do when you get a call at 3am from Fiji from someone suffering from Dengue Fever, which on reflection might have been handy. But that's another story.