Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Learn more Learn More Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 22 February 2006
This book chronicles the work of the Hamlins, doctors from the UK who set up a women's hospital in Ethiopia. The book really highlights just how horrendous life can be for women in areas of the world where there is little health infrastructure, but unlike alot of investigative journalism for example, which deals with similar issues, there is light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the Hamlin's ongoing activities. A great example of what commitment, dedication, faith and love can do in the face of despair.
In addition there are some really interesting bits of medical history thrown in as well. Highly recommended.
on 26 September 2008
Having watched a TV documentary about the Fistula Hospital in Ethiopia several years ago, I was greatly interested to read the full story of the Doctors Hamlin. What a remarkable couple - true humanitarians in every sense. What they have achieved is truly astonishing.
These poor young Ethiopian girls have endured pain, isolation and degredation through ignorance and poor health care, some as young as 13 going through many days of labour to deliver a dead baby, and then suffering terrible internal injuries often resulting in fistula, leaving them incontinent and destined to a life of shame. Doctors Reg and Catherine Hamlin from Australia pioneered reconstructive surgery and have a 93% success rate of curing these women, literally giving them their lives back. They train health care workers, midwives, doctors and have opened outreach clinics and a safe permanent home for the few they cannot cure. Theirs is a heart-warming story - I cried when I read it. There are some truly selfless people in the world, who genuinely care for others. I urge you to read this book. It will make you appreciate just how lucky we are to be born into a society where women are educated and have access to proper health care.
on 9 April 2008
I read this book as a first year medical student and it has inspired me throughout my studies... I'm currently planning my medical elective to Ethiopia due to this book!
Read it, I am certain you will find it incredible.
on 19 March 2012
This book was recommended to me and I would highly recommend it, I have already bought this a few times and given to friends as presents.
Very moving story of the plight of these young eithiopian girls suffering appalling injuries as a result of complications during childbirth and the couple who have devoted their lives to helping them. I did not even realise how bad such injuries could be when access to doctors, ceseareans etc are not available. Thankfully due to our healthcare systems in the western world, few people in the UK would have to suffer this. Reading this book made me want to find out more about this hospital and how to donate to it.
on 7 June 2012
I really enjoyed this book although it was'nt what I expected. It is about a husband and wife (both gynaecologists) who
ended up working in Ethiopia and opening a fistula hospital. Written beautifully by Dr Catherine Hamlin and telling of the dreadful effect of obstructive labour and the horror these poor woman had to suffer. These dedicated doctors helped millions of women, and their legacy of the fistula hospital they built is now a teaching institution for gynaecologists all over the developing world.

Fabulous book
on 29 June 2012
I read this book after visiting the Fistula Hospital in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and it brought tears to my eyes. To meet the people who give hope to the unfortunatel women who suffer from fistulas and give them a life back. Many women can have successful surgery and can be cured and for those very few that cannot be healed they have hope for a better future. It is such a caring and peaceful place that seems like Heaven on Earth. This book has to be read and believe me you will find it very difficult to put it down.
on 30 October 2013
Dr Hamlin writes very modestly of the achievements and success of the the hospital she set up with her husband, and the other staff and patients involved. There is also some interesting history of Ethiopia, since the book spans several decades of her lifetime. I've ordered the follow up book, which has some of the personal stories of the patients.
on 7 June 2012
I was not disappointed by this book. I couldn`t put it down. It is recommended on the "preparing to serve" page for Mercy Ships volunteers. I was very surprised to meet a couple who have visited the hospital, and look forward to hearing one of the doctors from Ethiopia coming to Guernsey to speak of their work.
on 15 August 2014
This book has opened my eyes to the tragic condition of fistula, one I knew very little about before this. The dedication and work of Catherine and Reg is truly inspirational and the stories in this book are told so well that you feel you know many of the patients and staff
on 25 February 2014
Inspirational story and very well worth reading. The author and her husband saw a huge problem in Ethiopia for women and put their all into tackling it by building a hospital much to the benefit Of hundreds of thousands of young girls. This story will stay with me always