Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2004
I was so touched by this very powerful book. This booked was shared to me by my officemate. I have not been reading books for a long long time and it seems God has interceded for me to start reading again. I was greatly inspired by this book and could not put it down. Finished it actually in less than 3 days. I was so touched by Brother Yun's persistence and passion in spreading the word of God. I really envy him and I hope to meet Brother Yun someday.
on 9 March 2006
The journey that brother Yun takes with his faith from a teenager praying over his dying father's body to the Holy spirit-inspired man he is today is almost unbelievable. I could not put this book down! till my tears of admiration forced me to.
If you are a Christian you will be inspired and find yourself wanting to do more for God..
Brother Yun did not even have a bible as they were rare and illegal in China! Christians were forced to bury their bible's in the ground for safe keeping, or suffer the consequences if they were found..
Find out how Brother Yun received his first bible; you will be amazed!
You will also be amazed at how Brother Yun served the Lord enduring torture, imprisonment and changed lives all around him.
If you are not a Christian you will be apalled at what this gentle, humble man had to go through just to practice what he believes..
The book is truly the best book I have ever read, apart from the Bible.
on 8 February 2005
This was a truly inspiring book to read. It tells the story of a remarkable man, Brother Yun, who is continually challenged through extreme persecution. It is a book that will make you think and reflect upon your own life and where you stand in your walk and faith. It asks you a very tough question: are you willing to suffer for your faith? Though it is not written in the most elegant of words, the power behind his words cannot be mistaken. This book will challenge you to give up your life for Christ, by seeking Him through genuine prayer, fasting, and just immersion in the word. I recommend this to anyone who is seeking transformation and revival in their lives as well as those who are looking to go on missions.
on 27 April 2003
I have to admit, when someone first handed me this book, my instant reaction was "great, another book about how some poor soul came to Christ, just what I don't need!" I couldn't have been more wrong! Within pages I had tears in my eyes, reading this story of one man who didn't have a special Christian upbringing or anything, in fact quite the opposite, and yet came through everything that life through at him, still worshipping and praising the Lord. And yet, as the introduction says, Brother Yun did not write this testimony to glorify himself, and not once do you get the impression that he did. Through everything he writes, he never forgets, nor lets the reader forget that God is behind everything. Sadly, I had the misfortune to miss Brother Yun when he spoke at out church, and I really regret it having read this book. He is a man who has been truly blessed by the Lord, and anyone who reads this book will be truly inspired and encouraged with their own ministries. If you never buy another book again, buy this one!!!
on 3 April 2003
A must for any Bible believing 'Western' Christian to read. You will not be able to put this book down, it will challenge your faith to the core and lead you back to the cross. We certainly do not understand what Brother Yun went through in order to proclaim Christ and yet my heart aches for an intimacy with the Lord that Yun has.
Please do not read this book unless you are prepared to undergo radical change in your life, the Bible will be the next book that you read.
This truly is a remarkable story and I whole-heartedly recommend it.
on 13 June 2004
I like this book because it is a true story that is amazing and has consequences for everyone because it is true! The point is that this man Yun is an ordinary Christian, living a normal Christian life (according to the New Testament), yet extraordinary miracles have been done through his obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ. The title he gained, Heavenly man, comes only from an incident where he declared to the arresting authorities that he was not a citizen of this ot that village on earth, but a citizen of Heaven! I find that a basis for all the rest that is told, that this man Yun put his entire identity in who he is in Christ Jesus, not his earthly life of poverty and persecution.
The story is actually miserable an frightening in that it concerns toture and imprisonment and separation from family (though never friends or the Lord Jesus!) in Chinese and Burmese jails. THe experience, however, brought foreth faith in the only One who could affect the situation of not only Yun, but those tortured souls around him in prison. This faith in God went ever deeper as the pain of torture and separation from family progressed, yet God did ever greater miracles through Yun, from Healing others of incurable illness, to the miracle of Yuns escape from the most secure prison in China. That alone makes this book worthwhile, a massive embarrassment for the communist government of China, and yet Yun encourages everyone to pray for them , not that they might be removecd, but that they might experience Gods love even as they oppose His truth through persecution of His Church in China. That gives a deep insight to Yuns tranformed character in Christ Jesus, and also his understanding that God will allow the persecution until it has achieved HIs purposes for China and the rest of the world.
Yun goes on to comment on his experience of the west (as he is now a refugee in Germany, also by the grace of God with his family also given asylum), where persecution against the CHurch happens through words and not actions (for the time being at least). This gave me a deeper insight into Gods purposes for us in the west who seem so luke-warm compared to believers such as Yun, who suffered broken legs a terrible illness from the unclean prison conditions. Okay, God did that amazing healing of his legs in the moment of his miraculous escape (the doors opened in front of him in that maximun security jail, and he stepped into a waiting taxi!), but our faith needs to be tested like Yuns. This book is a challenge to every believer to get excited about what God IS doing in the world right now in our time. It looks like we are in for something more like the New Testament if what is written here is becoming the pattern worldwide!
on 30 September 2006
I have just finished reading The Heavenly Man, and in all honesty it is one of the best books, if not THE best book, I have ever read. As a Christian, it really challenged me about what I'm doing for the Lord, which is next to nothing compared to Brother Yun and our brothers and sisters in China. It really brought it home to me just how easy our life is in the Western world, when we can regularly attend public worship and worship our Heavenly Father, without being in danger of getting tortured or executed for that reason. This book is for both Christians and non-Christians alike - Christians can see just how blessed they are when they're not faced with such an extreme level of persecution, and non-Christians can find out about just how amazing God is, when he heals Yun's father and brings him back from death's door, and how he can let Yun survive for 74 days without food or water. This book has many more examples of God's amazing power and love, which are too numerous to mention. If you read this book, you will be really challenged, regardless of your religious persuasion.
on 19 August 2003
This is the most thought-provoking book I've read for many years. It it often disturbing and yet so compelling I read it in 2 days. Somehow it gave me a heart-sore hunger for God's presence. The realisation of God's sustaining power in the teeth of persecution and torture is a wonder. Brother Yun's humility, humanity and the gritty reality of his daily relationship with God shine through. I cant recommend it highly enough. It is filled with the reality of Jesus on every page.
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2007
This book is an extraordinary account of an extraordinary man. The book follows the true story of a Chinese Christian as he plays cat and mouse with the Communist government of China. There are truly harrowing accounts of how his wife was forefully sterilised for breaking the one child policy, and how he was beaten and electrocuted by secret police, and how he witnessed a firing squad execution. You can therefore see that this is anything but a light hearted feel good story. As well as this violent persecution, the book also details how the Communist government has set up counterfeit churches to try and cut off the explosive growth of the heroic Chinese Christian underground.

For anyone with a heart for the persecuted church, this is an aboslute must. It provides a detailed glimpse of life for the persecuted church in China that is both humbling, and at the same time uplifting. The book is probably not well suited to small group study, and is more of an individual read. However, the lessons learned in the book can be a powerful addition to your knowledge about the trials facing modern Christians. The book is truly humbling and memorable.
on 25 March 2004
Reading this book will change your life forever. If you want to strenghen you faith in God or find out about Chinese Church Persecution this is the book for you. After you read the book you won't feel God just wants you to go on with life, but that he wants to use you in ways you've never thought possible.To devote your whole life to him and want to give everything that you have to him, So that HE CAN USE YOU!!!This book will Bless you.
God Bless