5.0 out of 5 stars Best autobiog read in a long time
Published on 10 Nov 2009 by JemimaS

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite entertaining!
Perhaps it's because I'm fourteen but I found Letting Go a bit of a struggle (the book!). Most people know him more from Citizen Smith, GBH or, more recently, My Family (as I do) but about two thirds of this book is filled with name-dropping and stage work. Not exactly what I expected but nevertheless not a terrible book!
Published on 31 Aug 2010 by Matthew

5.0 out of 5 stars Best autobiog read in a long time, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
From an entertainment point of view, this is one of the best autobiographies ever. When you get an actor's autobiography what you want are anecdotes about other actors, information about what they've achieved in theatre, film, etc, where they came from and how they got into acting in the first place, how they tackle their job. This ticks all the boxes and more. For me, definitely one of the best autobiographies I've read for quite a while!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite entertaining!, 31 Aug 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars My opinion, 27 Nov 2009
Mrs. Nina Rossey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
I don't normally write book reviews but I just had to tell how fantastic this book is. If you remember Robert in Citizen Smith or if you only know him from his more recent work in My Family you will love this book. It gives a real insight into the person that Robert really is and how he deals with life and the characters he plays. If you buy one book this Christmas, buy this one. It really shouldn't be missed. Enjoy!Robert Lindsay Letting Go

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I was expecting, 28 Dec 2009
Ali Hills (Ilkeston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
I was thoroughly looking forward to this book, it was top of my Christmas wish list. I too am from Ilkeston and enjoyed the first part of the book.

However, as it progressed I felt it turned into a story of name dropping, I wasn't interested in the directors/producers he had worked with, in fact I had never heard of any of them, I just wanted to read about the man, his career and his life.

It was not what I was expecting and I am finding it difficult to summon up the enthusiasm to even finish it, one for the Charity shop I think.

Sorry Robert, I love you as an actor and a man but this is just rubbish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, more to him than meets the eye!, 27 Nov 2009
Ms. K. M. Rhodes "Kim Rhodes" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
As I hail from the same part of the country as Robert, I'm always interested in what he's up to, but I only really knew of his work on 'My Family'. I bought the book really as a Christmas present for my Mum but decided to have a little read first, sneaky I know!! I was so surprised by the amount of amazing thing's he's done. He's actually a lot more of an accomplished actor/entertainer than I ever realised. There's some great anecdotes in there and it's so nice to read a refreshingly honest autobiog. in this world full of fakery!! My Mum will still get the book for Christmas but I'll have to buy her a new copy as I'm keeping mine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
A Very good read by a very popular actor who writes as he speaks I have followed him since his Woofy Smith days so very enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let it go, 23 Sep 2012
Chris_W (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
I used to be able to say that I have never thrown a book out and every book I had started I finished no matter how bad. "Letting Go" has the dubious honour of being the first to fall into both categories. It was clear from the beginning that "Letting Go" was not going to be a masterpiece yet I persevered until about four fifths of the way through I could take it no longer and it was in the bin. I can't put my finger on why but personally I found it to be complete dribble and in some places the anecdotes a little too contrived. Like others I appreciate Robert Lindsay as an actor but feel he should leave writing to someone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars A very boring book!, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
I like and respect Robert Lindsay as an Actor , however I feel he should have stuck with the acting and not attempted writing his auto biography. I am a fan of biographical writing but I struggled to finish this book in fact I admit that I speed read/skipped through a lot of pages towards the end. The book is mainly an list of his stage, film and TV work very little about the man himself or his life. I respect the fact that he may be a very private person, if so then why write an autobiography? In one word - Boring! On the plus side however, I found that reading this book at bedtime helped me to nod off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Lindsay - Letting Go, 8 April 2012
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
This is the autobiography of one of Britain's well known actors Robert Lindsay. In his book Robert takes us through his career from playing the well known characters on television, like Wolfie in the sitcom Citizen Smith and Michael Murray in the Alan Bleasdale's powerful drama GBH, in which Robert won a BAFTA for Best Actor. Robert has also had a successful stage and film career and won a Fred Astaire Award and a Tony Award as Best Actor in a musical for Me and My Girl in London and New York. Robert has played the part of Ben Harper for the past ten years in the successful BBC sitcom My Family.

This is an interesting insight into Robert's career. You do not learn too much about Robert's personal life but with such an outstanding career on stage and screen the book is full of fascinating stories behind the scenes of his work that are very entertaining. If you are a fan of Robert Lindsay or just interested in people then this is a great book to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Letting Go - I just did!, 16 Oct 2011
R. N. Wilson "robinwilson" (Audlem, Cheshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Lindsay Letting Go (Hardcover)
He may be "one of Britain's best loved, best known actors", and I rated him as such, but I did not enjoy this autobiography. Lindsay came across to me as self-centred, egotistical, selfish and arrogant, AND there was virtually no mention of "My Family", whch was why I was interested in the book in the first place - I never watched "Citizen Smith" - no doubt his agent ordered him to keep it for the next volume!

Robert Lindsay Letting Go
Robert Lindsay Letting Go by Robert Lindsay (Hardcover - 26 Oct 2009)