on 16 April 2007
As a fledging life coach I must say that the marketing side of the business was the scariest area to contemplate. After looking at Hannahs marketing website and being impressed with that I decided to buy the book. I am very glad that I did. It is presented clearly and concisely with an appropriate amount of humour. You'll need to buy the book to find this out but I suspect not many marketing books mention ducks!!! It is not dry and it is crystal clear that Hannah sure knows her stuff. It has exercises that you can do to build up your plans and work towards your goals. I bought mine from her website and she had kindly signed it, a sign to me that she cares about her business and who she connects with.

If you are going to buy one book on marketing for coaches then make it this one.
on 25 December 2007
I thought I knew a fair bit about marketing until I read this book. A must for every coach, and business owner/ entreupeuner who wants to expand and make their business more effective. Having a great product alone will not pay the bills, this book will help you to pay the bills and more if the principles are applied, it is priceless and worth every pennny.
on 6 July 2009
This was the first non-fiction book I've ever read that I could hardly put down!! It has a style that is easy and engaging. I'm not new to coaching but I am new to marketing my coaching and I found Hannah's advice relevant, clear and motivating. There are lots of good ideas here which are great for new or experienced coaches alike and Hannah demystifies many terms with her 'Jargon alerts'. Whenever I feel my marketing efforts are flagging, I go back to this book for a boost!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 December 2015
In my experience coaches are nice people. They are attracted to start a coaching business because they want to help people and make a genuine difference.

They also see it as a way to make a nice living - and of course, the best known coaches make an absolute fortune (e.g. Tony Robbins).

Coaches don't want to market themselves, they want to coach the people they want to help but the new coach quickly learns two things:
1 - Marketing isn't a "nice if", it is a MUST.
2 - The vast majority of people don't want to buy coaching.

Hence the big demand for help to answer the question "how do I find coaching clients". The standard advice given is to find your niche, your own special position in the market which you can call your own.

When I ordered "Niche Marketing For Coaches", that's what I thought this book was all about. There are a lot of issues in finding the courage to niche, selecting your niche and then establishing your pre-eminent position as the "go-to person" for anyone who needs those services. This entire issue of how to choose your niche and indeed, whether you should be a generalist or specialist, is huge.

This is a very good marketing book but the author hasn't written the in-depth look at niche marketing and how it applies to coaching I was expecting. It follows the standard advice of "find your niche" but doesn't go into the problems that niching can bring (e.g. a one-sale to customers with nowhere to go for a back-end sale.)

The chapter titles tell their own story and I will give start page numbers so you can get a feel for the depth of content in each area.

1 - Introduction - page 2
11 - Other marketing methods - page 172
12 - Asking for business - page 182
13 - Creating your marketing plan - page 200
14 - Making it happen - page 218
15 - The Coach Files - a look at successful coaches who have chosen their niche (although some are more niche than others) - internet marketing, dentists, media professionals, wealth coaching, small business owners. Only two of those I would argue were properly niched - the dentists and media professionals - since the other three are very wide.

This give you a sense of balance for the book and where it spends its attention.

As a marketing for coaches book, I'd give it four stars but as a specialist book on how to select a niche for a coaching business, I'd only give it 2 stars because so many dimensions of the topic are missing. That's a three star rating on average. It's well worth reading if you want to market a coaching business but I don't think it's much help if you're wrestling with the dilemma of choosing to niche or not, and if so, which niche.
on 24 January 2010
Marketing and Niches are 2 of the main areas that Coaches are afraid to venture into. With this book Hannah helps the reader focus on simple, straightforward acions that if performed well, will help you re-focus or define your niche and how you market.

Read from cover to cover, and continually dip in and out of this 'bible', for new and established coaches.

I love the way Hannah presents the topics in a very matter of fact, humourous and adult way. It enables anyone to pick up this book and run with it!

Niche Marketing for Coaches: A Practical Handbook for Building a Life Coaching, Executive Coaching or Business Coaching Practice
on 24 March 2010
This is a great resource for coaches in any field. Hannah McNamara understands marketing and coaching. From finding your niche to defining what you offer and marketing it, McNamara is by your side, prompting, nudging, encouraging and jargon-busting.

The book is well written and readable, and encourages you to use your coaching skills to work on your business. That's clever - you're starting with something familiar and using it to move into lesser-known territory. A book that you'll keep referring to as your coaching practice develops.
on 14 January 2012
The author really puts the spotlight on what to do and what not to do.
I wish I had bought the book before I started my coaching practice.
Practical hints, tips and actions to get the most from marketing a business that isn't an easy sell.
on 12 September 2013
I'd recommend this to anyone thinking of getting into the coaching field - it's good sense to read it before anything else. Gets you very clear in an easy to grasp way what it's all about setting up as a coach.
on 10 November 2010
Hannah really understands the marketing game, and as someone new to running a business, her tips have been inspirational. A book I will keep going back to. Highly recommended
on 2 January 2016
A great book giving a different perspective. Is helping me in deciding how to market myself and has even helped me to think more clearly about my coaching practice overall