5.0 out of 5 stars 'Lightweight' diary doesn't disappoint
Published on 9 Dec 2004 by Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed....
Published on 2 Aug 2008 by Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Lightweight' diary doesn't disappoint, 9 Dec 2004
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
Being interested in all things WW2 I thought this diary of a country lady would be lightweight and not very interesting. How wrong I was. Somehow, through the words of this middle-aged woman, an authentic atmosphere of the period is evoked in a way that most books about this era can only hope to approximate. I found myself thoroughly immersed in the lives of the small community in which Betty moved, and astonished at just how much people used to care for their neighbours. I am a 39 year old man, but can recommend this book to anyone - young or old, male or female.

5.0 out of 5 stars friends and heroes remembered, 31 Aug 2002
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
My son gave me a copy of Betty's Diary because he read that it was also the Dad's Army diary I have been looking for. I have read it from cover to cover in three days and enjoyed every page. It is a tribute to all the brave comrades I knew and whose aircraft I used to work on. I hope anyone who is interested in what it was really like to live in those war years will take the time to read Betty's words.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating account !, 11 Dec 2006
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
I thoroughly recommend this great account of "ordinary" Second World War civilian life! From the first to last page this book was a fascinating and vivid account of Home Front life, both moving and comical. Reading this diary reminded me very much of my Grandmother`s own wartime experiences; Betty is someone I think anyone can relate to.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed...., 2 Aug 2008
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
I was so disappointed with this book, somehow to me it just doesnt ring true that this was written by a middle aged woman in war time, I would be interested how much of the authors slant was put on the originals diaries, everything is very much glossed over and the fact that in the introduction the author states that most of the original diaries are now unavailable, left me wondering... If you want a thoroughly good read of war time diaries look no further than the three books by Simon Garfield based on the Mass Observation Probject, they are absolutely superb and I think that is what has left me wanting more in this publication, oh well!

5.0 out of 5 stars An aid to memory for some, a bit of social history for others., 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
Well written. Brought back memories for me. Good reading for anyone interested in learning a little about was it was really like on 'The Home Front' in WW2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction to life experiences, 4 Jan 2008
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
Betty's Wartime Diary is a splendid read. However those people who consider themselves 'experts' in the field should stay away from this one. It is, as the editor reminds us he put this together from ' - her sketchy and disintegrating notes'. Naturally then some level of research has been required. What made this for me is the simple authorship and inclusion of many wartime posters. Both my daughters have used this text in their studies demonstrating its use outside the home. Oh and yes I am an 'expert'!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good bed time read, 30 Sep 2007
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
I have read many of these diaries and I enjoyed Betty's very much. It is the sort of book that you can read before you go to sleep and it won't give you nightmares. I loved the detail of the food and the habits of her cat, very personal indeed. It gave me an insight into the thoughts of the population generally as the war progressed and the pages where the war ends are very touching. No, its not a dramatic book as such , but then Betty was pretty unflabbable. I was most impressed with how much time was spent in the pub !- Yes buy it. A good present for anyone intersted in the war or biography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
Nice and easy to read in a diary form. Feels friendly and chatty and great to pick up and dip in and out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sunday night TV reading, 2 Oct 2007
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
I have a great interest in reading about ordinary people in WWII but found this book very disappointing. It is all just too twee and reminded me of Sunday night "cosy" television such as "Heartbeat", even down to the characters in the book being like soap figures - e.g. the not-quite-a-spiv chap. This just does not ring true after reading other accounts and listening to people who lived through it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars RECOMMENDED BOOK!, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 (Paperback)
AS I AM INTERESTED IN ORDINARY PEOPLE'S LIVES IN WORLD WAR TWO THIS BOOK WAS VERY INFORMATIVE. I ENJOYED READING IT VERY MUCH AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)

Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945
Betty's Wartime Diary 1939-1945 by Betty Armitage (Paperback - 5 July 2002)
9.99