5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant - all the questions answered
Not only does this book make the most believable argument for the true identity of 'Jack' the Ripper throwing all other suspects out of the water, it is also a fantastic read. I was completely engrossed from the outset and was not satisfied until I had read the very last page.
This new account makes sense of the previously unanswered questions of the case; where all...
Published on 1 April 2012 by Maxine Emma

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Dire (WARNING - CONTAINS SPOILERS)
First things first - I am an ardent Ripperologist and have been for some years. I collect all books on the subject regardless of how plausible the theory may be as I think you need to have them if you have a great interest in the case. I have absolutely no idea who Jack really was, I sincerely doubt that we will ever know with any degree of certainty. The theory that the...
Published 23 months ago by luciefilm

3.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Attempt with interesting conclusions..., 27 Nov 2012
badlymademan (Shropshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
This is now my third or fourth JTR book and though I can't consider myself an expert or a "Ripperologist" do have a keen sense of history and a desire to learn. I can also sense when something is not quite right . . .

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed reading this theory and the facts - borrowed or newly discovered - on offer. The notion is a worthy one and indeed it makes no sense to ignore 50% or so of the population when considering possible suspects.

The Caroline Maxwell evidence in particular is a startling "sore thumb" which the lady never wavered from and needs some serious investigation. The author's proposition is quite valid and is one of the main underpinnings to his case.

To my mind rather too much was made of the horrific dissections JTR performed. Once or twice is enough to get the point across but to repeat the detail so often is just plain morbid. Repetition too of the mental reasoning behind the main suspects motives also went on and on. Again, made once or twice would have been enough. At the end I was wondering if there had been a specific word-count the publisher's editor had required and all this was padding!

The use of Rudyard Kipling's famous poem at the end as some kind of proof that women are indeed capable of such heinous crimes is over-played and unnecessary. The links among friends and acquaintances are certainly intriguing but seemed to hint at a stronger Freemasonry angle, from my reading, than their knowledge of whose wife JTR was. There is the hint that quite a few people probably knew the secret of the murderer and I find it hard to believe that so many kept so quiet about what they knew for so long. Were that many willing to cover up such atrocities? Suddenly we're into conspiracy-theories. The husband's (of the supposed JTR) early retirement certainly needs more explanation and though it fits very neatly with the author's proposition feels insubstantial.

And an example of that "something that is not quite right" ? I'll give you a clue - boot buttons.

So in conclusion I enjoyed the theory and the detail but wasn't convinced at the end. If you strip away the over-done violence and mental illness, there are indeed some interesting ideas but - as my old teacher used to say: "Must try harder!"

Read the book and make-up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars New theory adds up, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
This compelling book comes in the "can't put down" category. The thought provoking account invites the reader to draw their own conclusion by presenting the facts and not providing solutions simultaneously. The facts speak for themselves and the conclusion is a thoroughly believable one. The book is extremely well written and an immensely enjoyable read which I would certainly recommend. I have given the book to my daughter who read it in one session as she again could not put it down!.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Plausible Theory, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
Once I had picked up the book it was very difficult to put down again, the stories of Jack the Ripper have always had the same theme that a man was responsible for the murders, however as you read the evidence and theory put forward by John Morris, you cannot fail to agree with the idea that indeed it was a woman who carried out the ghastly deeds. The facts and the reasoning speak for themselves and I was totally gripped from beginning to end.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a copy, 25 May 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
After reading this book I was surprised to find I had read it before...In Uncle Jack- A Victorian Mystery where author Tony Williams names for the first time his great uncle Sir John Williams as Jack the Ripper.
In Morris' book the author suggests it was John Williams'wife Lizzie. A ripperologist summed it up by saying "If you tipex out the name John Williams and replace it with Lizzie you'll have the same book".

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack The Ripper: The Hand of a Woman, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
This is a well researched and nicely written account of one the most famous unsolved crimes in history. Mr. Morris purposes a very plausible explanation that seems to very neatly tie-up all the loose ends regarding this most fascinating event that nearly paralyzed London's' east-end during the latter part of the 19th century. Having read other accounts, I find this one to be the most believable. I recommend this book to anyone interested in some sort of closure regarding the mystery surrounding "Jack-The Ripper." Fast-paced and totally enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
I loved this book - the clues and facts of the Ripper case were brought together seamlessly (to my eyes) and the evidence was compelling. I love that this book was written by the collaboration father and son, and that John Morris finished the research and published in honour of his father. If there is one little complaint, it's that it could do with slightly less repetition of the facts when the events being explained are only a few pages apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Perspective, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
What a wonderful perspective. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the true identity of Jack The Ripper. Well researched and very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
What a fantastic read, Have met the author, Emailed him numerous times and always get a reply, the book features some local events to me and possibly some family ties, will read again and again, lots to make you think about here, a route that few people go down but thought stimulating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the serious scholar, 8 April 2012
Moi "DdH" (North of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
I was interested to read this book as the possibility that Jack The Ripper was female has had little attention through all the, very many, texts available on the subject. I found this book a sad disappointment. Firstly it piggy-backs on Tony Williams book 'Uncle Jack' referring to the text and ideas many, many times. From there on it makes a number of creative suppositions and wild leaps of the imagination to place it's own suspect in the frame. I have read a great many books about this case and in no other instance have I found such reckless conclusions drawn from such little evidence. Basically this is a work of 'faction' .... a fictitious explanation built on facts. If you know the case you will also become aware that some of the'facts' presented here are less than accurate. Very little of what is said here can be taken seriously. Also, I'm sorry to say that it isn't that well written. There are some excellent books available about Jack The Ripper ... this isn't one of them. Sorry !

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackie the Ripper!, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman (Paperback)
Always been a fan of the Jack The Ripper story. Have read a lot of theories on the subject but this is definitely a new take on it. Although I was sceptical to begin with, by the end it was hard not to be convinced. I can't believe it but it looks like it's been Jackie the Ripper all along!

Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman
Jack the Ripper: The Hand of a Woman by John Morris (Paperback - 20 Mar 2012)