5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent
Published on 12 Nov 2011 by Violet Hunter

Published on 24 Oct 2010 by joy

3.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to the Alexander Technique- Body Learning by Michael Gelb, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique (Paperback)
This book gives a good introduction to the Alexander technique with some fairly detailed descriptions. It goes into the history and background of how Alexander followed through on his ideas and made his discoveries. It gives some insights into the author's own revelations and how the techniques helped him in aspects of his own life. I feel that I will need to read it again to get more from the book as there are such a lot of interesting things to learn. It is an ongoing process and has a holistic approach which is quite a difficult concept to put into practice. At the end of the day you have to be a dedicated practitioner and make this technique a way of life to get the maximum benefit from it. The book was recommended to me by my Alexander teacher as being the best book available on the subject, however I have found others which are more enlightening such as "Let your life flow" by Alex Maunder, which I found more inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent, 12 Nov 2011
This book is a truly excellent introduction for anyone who wants to find out just what the mysterious Alexander Technique is. It gives a history of Alexander's discoveries and how he developed the technique, and enables someone who has never heard of the AT before to understand how it works (to actually learn it, you need to go to a practitioner). If I had not read this book first, I would have found my first few lessons completely mystifying - it is not something which can be grasped immediately. The Alexander Technique is the only thing I have found which helps me with my chronic stress and anxiety, and my ME/CFS, and it is thanks to this book that I decided to give it a try. Other books on the subject I have found to be a bit wishy-washy and concentrate on the spiritual side of learning this technique; for those who want to simply know what it is, how it was developed and what it can do for you, buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going., 20 Sep 2013
C. Johnson - See all my reviews
A good, well written book. Not for the casual reader or anyone looking to learn how to apply Alexander's methods. Something to go back to when you've had a lot of lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Learning, An Alexander Technique Introduction, 17 April 2012
A superb book. While there is no replacement for one-to-one lessons, this is great background information and reasoning why Alexander's is such a great technique to learn for all aspects of life and living.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction/reminder, 23 Jan 2013
If you're new to the Alexander technique, this is a good introduction. And if, like me, you want to be reminded of principles you might have forgotten, this is equally good.

5.0 out of 5 stars super accesible book, 20 Jun 2013
Been taking an Alexander class and loving it, this book helps add more intellectual content and great photos too. It is a good book to start with buy it is my advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars not a how to, but a 'what is' . . ., 30 May 2010
Linda "Canadian Coffee Snob" (Stewartby, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The mysterious Alexander Technique--no one seems to know what it is or how to describe it! In the last several months, however, I've had at least 3 friends say I should 'check it out'. None of them actually practice the technique nor knew anymore than I did, but seemed to think it would be just the ticket for my sore back. Of course, I'm from Missouri; if you can't tell me what it is, it must be a con. The web was no better--all the websites devoted to it are obscure, to put it politely. So, I took the plunge and looked for a good old fashioned book, but not one that purported to teach the technique (as everything I'd read said that's the one thing a book can't do . . .) but one that would just please tell me what the heck was going on. Michael Gelb's book does just that--it is an illuminating look at a 'way of life' and 'system of unlearning' developed by Mr Alexander many decades ago. The book talks about how and why Alexander developed his 'technique', discusses what the technique is not, the basic principles behind the technique, how it can be applied in everyday life, and what it takes to learn it. It pulls no punches, yet gently and patiently takes the reader down the path that Mr. Gelb took whilst learning (and then teaching) the technique. And it leaves you with no illusions as to the technique being a 'quick' or inexpensive fix. Having said all that, I now know that the Alexander Technique is indeed just the thing I've been looking for, and for a much wider variety of reasons than my sore back. I'm registered with a qualified teacher and begin my process of 'unlearning' next week. Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction, 10 Sep 2010
This book was recommended to me by my Alexander teacher and it has proved to be an excellent choice. It explains, what seemed to me to be the quite mysterious principles behind the technique, in a very accessible and readable way.

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique by Michael Gelb (Paperback - 1 Jan 2004)
12.99