5.0 out of 5 stars Threads and Tinsels

3.0 out of 5 stars Diasappointed
Published on 23 Feb 2011 by Mr. K. Heap

5.0 out of 5 stars Threads and Tinsels, 20 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
... For someone like me, somewhat rusty and very unsure of modern materials (i.e. glitzy, ice yarn, micro flash etc) this book is a godsend, two pages devoted to each of 100 patterns across the fly fishing range - it will lie flat on the desk (it is ring bound) everything about the fly and the materials required, including degree of difficulty (and quarry!) is on the first page, precisely how to tie the fly is beautifully and clearly shown and explained on the second page.
Verdict - no beginner should start tying without it, improvers will love it, experts (I think) will enjoy it - buy it as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars fly tyers bible, 16 Oct 2003
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
this has to be one of the best fly tying books about,spiral bound so it lays flat on the table when im tying flies makes it easier to look at and follow the patterns unlike other books which keep flicking back a page or two,the content is extremely useful and the photographs and descriptions are very good and clear to understand.in general i would recommend this book to novices and pros alike to add as an addition to your other books.i can guarantee you will not be disappointed and when you tie your first fly from the book and catch your first trout your grin will be seen for miles around.i do not rate it 5 stars i rate it about 100+,have many hours of great fly tying and tight lines

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, 13 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
what a great book for a beginer, it has taught me lots & lots. good step by step pictures and instructions.well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 30 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
I first saw this book at a branch meeting of the Fly Dresser's Guild but only had time for a brief scan. I am certainly glad I took the plunge and bought my own copy. The instructions and photograph sequences are top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars the fly-tying bible, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
on first opening this book i was very surprised . at last a fly tying book for the not so expert amongst us . its very well thought out, the lay out is spot on each fly has a difficulty rating step by step guide on how to tie every bit of the fly .the patterns are Good all round general covering ,this gives you flies for every water for every game fish .the book is on a ring binder so the book can stay open when its lay flat every thing about this book is well thought out this is very highly recommended book

3.0 out of 5 stars Diasappointed, 23 Feb 2011
Mr. K. Heap - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
I have been tying fishing flies for over 30 years and bought this book out of interest to see if I could 'improve' on any of the latest techniques, materials etc. The book is beautifully produced in an excellent loose leaf ring binder style so it will be very durable. However my overall impression was disappointment because the book is not entirely comprehensive as it leans heavily to stillwater angling and I fish a rain fed river in North Yorkshire. I found that the progression of some of the dressings did not follow on effectively and missed steps and on this point alone it is definately not a beginners book. The difficulty rating shown for some flies is way off the mark both ways. If you fish stillwater and have been tying your own flies for some years then you will be pleased, but sadly I wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars fly-tying bible, 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
I have an extensive collection of fly-tying books. As a GAIA instructor I have need to keep abreast of all currant publications. This book I found to be one of the best to recommend to my students/clients. A very informative publication, covering modern trends of fly patterns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fly-Tying Bible, 3 April 2009
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
Peter knows his onions when to comes to making fur and feathers look attractive to the fish. I was self-taught but I would urge anyone who wishes to gain insight into this rustic old craft to read books such as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly designed practical instruction manual but with a number of patterns more suited to the US than UK, 7 Nov 2014
C. Nation "chrisnation" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fly-Tying Bible (Spiral-bound)
I've been away from trout fishing and tying flies for 25 years but have just dug my tackle out again and opened up the moth-massacred ruin that was my fly tying cabinet. The bugs had even chewed through plastic wrappings to get at my fur and feathers!

Tip: keep some kind of moth-proofing in your fly tying kit. If you don't want the smell of some chemical to waft up at you when you open your box, a manly bar of sandalwood soap should do it, and it will last very much longer than moth balls, which 'evaporate' over time.

I had to look around for up-to-date instruction on fly tying because I'm sure that many of the materials I used to use - jay's wing feather for the throat hackle of the 'Invicta' is an example - are no longer available. This book provides the answer.

The book has been superbly designed as an instruction manual - spiral bound, lay-flat, sharp, well-lit photographs, succinct text - in that respect it cannot be faulted.

The only quibble one might have is in the choice of patterns - not by individual fly but by groups of fly which many British anglers will feel are irrelevant to them. Gathercole has chosen a number of patterns that are intended to appeal principally to American anglers or British anglers going to the US on one of those 'blow the kids' inheritance' mega-buck float plane and fishing lodge holidays [which we would all like to take, it's true]. I think I saw mention in one nymph pattern that it was a go-to in Australian waters ...

But I guess a British rainbow or brown trout would find a Mrs Simpson, an NZ pattern, just as tempting under the right conditions, as they do the Diawl Bach or good old PTN.

There are enough patterns here to keep anybody busy all winter, even if they never tie things like The Alaskabou nor venture into the salmon fly section at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars fly fishin addict, 31 Dec 2009
Tony Jacques (UK) - See all my reviews
Hi all

If you are new to fly tying and fly fishing this book is great value.

gives just enough tips and clues to get started and gets you tying a range of good fish catching patterns.

with a few basic lessons under my belt and a few tips (youtube is good for this) this will get you underway nicely.

like the format and the folder arrangent props up my desk and is easy to follow.

tight lines and happy new year for 2010.

The Fly-tying Bible

The Fly-Tying Bible
The Fly-Tying Bible by Peter Gathercole (Spiral-bound - 1 Mar 2003)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available