5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most logical scientific approach to golf ever
Dave Pelz looks at golf in a simple way: the closer the ball goes to your intended target, the lower your scores will be. Studying the professional game for years he found that the best players in the world were amazingly inaccurate when it came to wedgeplay. Needless to say that there was scope for improvement and Pelz describes a straightforward approach to the short...
Published on 2 Sep 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Too technical for me.
Undoubtedly this book has some great content and to an extent I feel slightly mean only giving him three stars but the reality is that, for the vast majority, of amateur golfers it is far, far too technical.

Short game is all about feel and simple fun practice in my view (I am a scratch golfer incidentally). You'll get far more benefit out of simply watching...
Published on 28 May 2009 by James Clark

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Dry but great book all the same., 12 Feb 2010
Mr. N. Campion (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I'm currently reading this one and found it very hard to get into as the first few chapters are about him developing a system for analysing statistics. However haveing got to the point where I'm trying improvements suggested I can fully understand why he has done this. Having stuck with it I am seeing the benefits on the course. I've only given it 4 stars as I think it could do with the photo's updating.

A book that is worth purchasing. Stick with it from the beginning a follow it through on your first read rather than skipping to the bunker section and you'll be rewarded.

I would also recommend reading Bob Rotella's 'Golf is not a Game of perfect' first as it has helped dramatically to get all the fears out of my game first.Golf is Not a Game of Perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars A good reference for every golfer, 4 Jan 2012
Samedi (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I bought this book along with Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals of golf. The two are very complementary but it is Dave Pelz who explains why every golfer needs two swings - a power swing (Ben Hogan territory) and a finesse swing (Dave Pelz territory). Pelz also identifies putting as a third swing but doesn't cover that in this book. Pelz gives a lot of background reasoning on why the short game is the crucial part of golf. If you are already convinced about that and simply want to get to the 'how to do it' part then you may find the book overly verbose. It certainly takes careful reading to make sure you are getting the correct message because Pelz intersperses pictures of the wrong way to do something with the correct way without flagging the 'wrong' pictures with large warning signs. I have read only the first 30% or so of the book (and practiced the advice therein) but have already seen the benefits in terms of reduced scores on the golf course, and a feeling of confidence rather than fear when confronted with awkward shots such as a short chip to the flag over an intervening bunker. Whether I get pro rata benefit from the rest of the book remains to be seen, but even on the first 30% it represents value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Pelz, 23 Sep 2010
D. R. W. Hares (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
Dave Pelz is clearly a huge enthusiast of the game of golf and yet he writes with the quiet authority of a man who knows what works and - just as important!- what won't work. He also appreciates that people have different capacities, so the book is not overbearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever on the short game, 24 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
Having been recommended this book by another golf player I was very pleased to find that it was a good as he said it was. The best book for me on the short game. I have bought it for another golfer who says it's the best book on the short game he's ever read (and he's read most of them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The secret to lower scoring lies with your short game..., 7 Sep 2000
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
This book really hepled me identify the area of my game that could, with a little work, dramatically reduce the number of shots per round. No more hammering drives on the driving range for me. The short game is where the secret of lower scoring lies......

4.0 out of 5 stars v.useful but requires patience and practice, 22 Sep 2009
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
This is a very analytical and comprehensive review of the short game of golf. Mr Pelz backs up his advice with examples, photo's and the reasoning behind his advice. With the appropriate amount of practice and time spent with your wedges, I have no doubt that your game will benefit. Basically he is teaching how to score better. THAT is the name of the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 17 Jun 2007
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I bought this book and while its technical style with a tone of self- recommendation is not for everyone, the results when followed and taken out to the course is amazing. I have re-read it many times and it would be the most helpful golf training book I have for the short game and therefore the scoring game in general. The re-reads actually have allowed me to see how Mr Pelz justified his technical approach in writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short game bible, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
Excellent - recommended by fellow golfer.Interesting take on the use of three clubs in varying grips to facilitate the improvement of ones'game.
Now to put into practice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 April 2012
I borrowed this book and had to get my own copy as it isn't a book to be just read. I read it through but revisited sections repeatedly as I worked through the suggested techniques. It takes a while to adjust the swing at the best of times but the concepts herein work well if you are prepeared to put the time in to understanding them. Having been a regular bogey golfer (+18) i managed to break par about a year after starting the book. Highly recommended but not to be taken too lightly.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very few must-have golf books, 20 Mar 2012
Robert Moore (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
Let's face it, there are a great many bad golf books out there, and very few good ones. This is one of the truly great ones. Mr Peltz has brought statistics and the scientific method into a sport infested with unfounded opinions and downright nonsense, and this book is a beacon of good sense. Yes, it can be a little repetitive here and there, but as with any training manual, a little repetition is necessary to get the ideas hammered in. Mr Peltz's methods have brought a real change to my game - it's not immediate, a great deal of structured practice is necessary, and I had to have my wedges altered to get even loft gaps, but now I can look at a flag, check the little self-made table I keep in my score card and KNOW that X length swing with Y club will put the ball exactly where I want it (with decent execution). With that knowledge comes confidence, and confidence is a game-changer. The chapter on sand play is also well worth investing some practice time in, if you can get to a facility with a practice bunker.

On the whole, well worth the asking price. Which is more than you can say for most golf books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible
Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz (Hardcover - 1 July 1999)