5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most logical scientific approach to golf ever
Published on 2 Sept. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Too technical for me.
Undoubtedly this book has some great content and to an extent I feel slightly mean only giving him three stars but the reality is that, for the vast majority, of amateur golfers it is far, far too technical.

Short game is all about feel and simple fun practice in my view (I am a scratch golfer incidentally). You'll get far more benefit out of simply watching...
Published on 28 May 2009 by James Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most logical scientific approach to golf ever, 2 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
Dave Pelz looks at golf in a simple way: the closer the ball goes to your intended target, the lower your scores will be. Studying the professional game for years he found that the best players in the world were amazingly inaccurate when it came to wedgeplay. Needless to say that there was scope for improvement and Pelz describes a straightforward approach to the short game. It seems to have worked very well for all the pros who have committed themselves to it. You need time to read this book and then you need time to practice but once you applied the techniques described, your scores will definitely fall - and you will learn how fruitless it is to beat five-irons and drivers on the driving-range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great theory, but you have to work for the benefits, 31 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
First of all, no question that this book is close to THE short game bible. If (like me) you come from a technical background, you'll love this book - Pelz builds up his points in painful detail. However, only go for it if you honestly believe you can commit serious time (an absolute minimum of 3 hours a week) to short game practice. If, like most people, you can't, then go for Tom Watson's classic Getting Up And Down. Pelz is very technical indeed and unless (again, like me) you've just been laid off you won't have the time to put this into practice in the course of one season. No wonder the pros love it though. Oh, one more thing - some of his assumptions are understandably US-centric, so if you too play on a links course you can take some of his spin / stop predictions with a large, but windproofed, pinch of salt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sort through to find the useful information, 13 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I was surprised when I received this book at how big it was. When I began reading I understood why. Dave Pelz has obviously put a lot of thought and time into his reasons for writing this book, and feels the need to tell us every last detail. Certainly this is important and does give a greater understanding of why the short game is so important to everyone's golf game. However I can't help but think that he could have cut down on a lot of what is written. When the book finally gets to the instruction, it is excellent. It covers every aspect of chipping, pitching and sand play you could want to know. Covering each technique thoroughly and in simple, easy to understand language which is accompanied by some good illustrating photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY-READ-SAVE a fortune on lessons !!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I've played off 20 to 24 handicap since I can remember. What this book does is to take you on a journey as to WHY the changes you have to make to improve your short-game - came about, as Pelz analysed and dissected the top pros methodolgy, techniques, and application. This book is a detailed and comprehensive training tool, which if you read SLOWLY, inwardley DIGEST and then PRACTICE and APPLY - what he is advocating, must help you improve your scores (and your handicap !!) . Do yourself a favour.....dont keep buying new Drivers and the latest lob-wedge, (like I used to do for the last 20 odd years),.....spend a lot less money on this book, take some time out, to read it properly......and you will never regret it.
Danny (Handicap now 15 !!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding!, 26 Mar. 2010
R. Weeks (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Just simply amazing!

A simple approach to all shots within 100 yards. The years of work this guy has put into collating his facts is brilliant. You can approach his method with the confidence that Dave Pelz has done his research well.

Anyone can improve their short game by reading and applying his method.

His method relies on YOU knowing EXACT YARDAGES on the courses you play. Get Google Earth on your PC/Mac, start charting yardages in a little book that you keep in your golf bag. Take yardage measurements from, for example, 'big tree on left of fairway to middle of green - 67 yards.' Take lots of these measurements, from different areas, of the holes you play, not just one measurement per hole. With his method, if you know these yardages, you'll be able to produce the 'finesse swing' to hit the ball to within 2 or 3 yards every time.

Just quality, I recommend this book highly for people who are willing to put the work into their short games.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good reference for every golfer, 4 Jan. 2012
Samedi (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I bought this book along with Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals of golf. The two are very complementary but it is Dave Pelz who explains why every golfer needs two swings - a power swing (Ben Hogan territory) and a finesse swing (Dave Pelz territory). Pelz also identifies putting as a third swing but doesn't cover that in this book. Pelz gives a lot of background reasoning on why the short game is the crucial part of golf. If you are already convinced about that and simply want to get to the 'how to do it' part then you may find the book overly verbose. It certainly takes careful reading to make sure you are getting the correct message because Pelz intersperses pictures of the wrong way to do something with the correct way without flagging the 'wrong' pictures with large warning signs. I have read only the first 30% or so of the book (and practiced the advice therein) but have already seen the benefits in terms of reduced scores on the golf course, and a feeling of confidence rather than fear when confronted with awkward shots such as a short chip to the flag over an intervening bunker. Whether I get pro rata benefit from the rest of the book remains to be seen, but even on the first 30% it represents value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading especially if you have short game problems., 10 Feb. 2013
Different people will get different things from this book. There is a massive amount amount of detailed information gleaned through painstaking research by Pelz all of it brilliant but this doesn't mean you have to apply it all or even read it all.
Let me tell you what I got out of it. I had a playing handicap of 6. Give me a wood and i was fearless, a medium or short iron and I'd be looking to stiff it, I can even putt quite well. Then one day for no reason at all I yipped a simple chip. It got into my head and and I couldn't get it out. If you gave me a chip or any pitch inside about 80 yds I'd be a quivering idiot. I could shank, fat, thin, even whiff. To call it the yips would suggest a degree of control way beyond what I had. I've spent a lot of money on lessons most of which were contradictory. The pros I went to just taught what works for them. Ball back in stance, ball forward in stance (use bounce) Turn shoulders, rock shoulders etc etc. NOTHING WORKED. My confidence was rock bottom, I often felt embarrassed, humiliated and even ashamed. Well meaning friends eventually stopped trying to help. This went on for 4 years. Bob Rotella advises anyone with this problem to first of all get a sound technique.
Cue Pelz.
He not only gives you a method that works but crucially, tells you WHY it works and when things go wrong why they probably did go wrong. To give one example; I didn't REALLY know the difference between wrist cocking and wrist hinging. If I had I could have saved myself about a year of grief and yes..on occasion tears of frustration.
There is a lot of advanced stuff in this book but you can't build a house (or a short game) without first getting firm foundations in place. This book will give you those foundations in a way that you can truly believe and accept.
Happily, since reading and applying the DP methods my short game has improved in leaps and bounds. I actually now look forward to a chip or pitch as a reason to show off. I'm no Luke Donald nor ever will be but I am also no longer a fearful quivering idiot every time I have a wedge in my hands. Try this book, for less than the price of a 30 min lesson it could transform your game.

5.0 out of 5 stars everything u need, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
I'm not gonna waffle on or go into too much detail but i'm a 9 handicap golfer who is currently working hard to lower the handicap and bought this book based on reviews i read here. The "4x3" wedge syatem is a guaranteed stroke saver from 120yards in and although it does require a minimum of 3 wedges and some practise time on the range to fine tune your yardages it will definitely lower your scoring. Some will find the book a little technical but pelz leaves no doubt or question in any of his methods, everything is well explained and researched and when u watch the pros u can see that they all use this system on the short game. after reading this u will never again take a power swing with any wedge and u will save minimum 6 shots per round. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very few must-have golf books, 20 Mar. 2012
Robert Moore (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
Let's face it, there are a great many bad golf books out there, and very few good ones. This is one of the truly great ones. Mr Peltz has brought statistics and the scientific method into a sport infested with unfounded opinions and downright nonsense, and this book is a beacon of good sense. Yes, it can be a little repetitive here and there, but as with any training manual, a little repetition is necessary to get the ideas hammered in. Mr Peltz's methods have brought a real change to my game - it's not immediate, a great deal of structured practice is necessary, and I had to have my wedges altered to get even loft gaps, but now I can look at a flag, check the little self-made table I keep in my score card and KNOW that X length swing with Y club will put the ball exactly where I want it (with decent execution). With that knowledge comes confidence, and confidence is a game-changer. The chapter on sand play is also well worth investing some practice time in, if you can get to a facility with a practice bunker.

On the whole, well worth the asking price. Which is more than you can say for most golf books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious Game Improvement, 12 Nov. 1999
This review is from: Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible (Hardcover)
A comprehensive insight into short game startegy and practice. By translating research into application, Dave Pelz has produced a text which is probably the best golf instruction book I have ever read (and I've read a few). A book for the serious and better golfer which will not dissapoint.

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible
Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz (Hardcover - 1 July 1999)