on 1 April 2001
I've been interested in feudal Japan for a while now. I've read many books regarding the "way of the samurai", but this was my first book on arms and armour. I have to say that even from the beginning I was very impressed with the context in the book. The book is very well balanced with text and pictures to keep the reader interested and know what he's talking about. I would suggest this to anyone who is interested in feudal Japan.
on 1 December 2003
Ever since Shogun: Total War came out I have had an unhealthy obsesion with feudal Japan. This book is a great example of an author who knows what he's talking about, including details on arms, armour, naval combat, land combat and telling the stories of real life battles and sieges. Both text and pictures kept me interested as well as the detail which is not overwhelming. Definately worth the small amount of money asked for.
on 19 December 2000
This book really impressed me because allthought it deals with such varied subjects as battles, sieges and sea warfare you get an objective and interesting description on the overall features, tactics and arms used. The author really is sucessfull in descriving the atmosfere of the time witch makes for trully emersive reading.
on 2 June 2004
This is an excellent book on the subject, giving you the facts about the training, armour, weapons and different soldier types of the samurai from the noble Warrior Monks to the lowliest Ashigaru peasent.
The book tells you about the development of the samurai across history, but it centers mostly on the Sengoku Jidai period - c. 1467-1615.
The last section is particulary interesting as it describes the different tactics and strategy that the samurai used during some of the battles of the Sengoku era such as the Mikata-ga-hara in 1572.
This was the first book I bought about this topic, so it's definately a good book for those who are just introduced to samurai history.
The book is filled with illustrations and photographs as well as diagrams of military tactics.
I highly recommend this book.
on 10 July 2015
Its ok. Some grey areas that are not explained well enough. Sadly there are not enough books on this subject.