5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, again.
An excellent resource from an astute and gifted teacher. My one observation is that for those working largely or entirely on their own, this is fairly challenging stuff, and it would be more encouraging if the verb listings were a little more generous in helping the student to identify the more unfamiliar forms of certain verbs (esp. aorist and passive forms).
Published on 9 May 2010 by Dr. B. E. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Designed for linguistic geniuses
Published 8 months ago by D. J. Barnsdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, again., 9 May 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Greek Teacher!, 22 Aug. 2013
Lector "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
A few years ago, finding myself with too much time on my hands, I decided to have a shot at learning Classical Greek. No matter what tutor you name, if it can be found on Amazon, I probably tried it.

I didn't get very far. Many of them assumed familiarity with other languages - especially Latin, though one of them actually had exercises requiring me to look up SANSKRIT words (WHERE, for Goodness Sake?!) and compare them to the Greek forms (and this was in a 'for beginners' book!!!) Needless to say, I didn't get past the first three chapters of that one.

Anyway, each book I tried was either too difficult for my linguistically-challenged brain cells, or it was so tediously boring that I quit after wading through a couple of chapters.

Then I discovered John Taylor's books, and everything changed. Suddenly learning Greek became both possible and fun!

This is the third book in the series (the others take you up to GCSE standard). And I also highly recommend his Greek Stories: A GCSE Reader if you're look for additional reading material.

That was a few years ago. And it worked. I'm now reading some Greek every day, and getting HUGE pleasure from the experience. I'm fairly comfortable in the New Testament and Septuagint, and with the aid of books such as Lucian's The Ass: An Intermediate Greek Reader: Greek Text with Running Vocabulary and Commentary, I'm enjoying 'learning by reading', without having to continually turn to a lexicon for the difficult words.

More recently, I've been working through Herodotus' Histories Book 1: Greek Text with Facing Vocabulary and Commentary, and even paddling along the polyphloisboian shoreline of Homer with The Iliad: Bk. 1. I'm loving every minute of it.

I say this not to boast - I'm no intellectual whiz - but to make the point that Taylor's books WORK. Easy step by easy step, they lead you into a whole new world of literature and pleasure. He's also a very nice person - when I emailed him to look for a key to the exercises, he was more than helpful.

If you're trying to teach yourself Classical Greek, I really don't think you can go wrong with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
My daughter is using it for her AS Greek course. The beauty of the book is that it can be used as a class resource, but is also ideal for independent learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
Outstandingly good as are the rest of the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 April 2015
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
A must have for anyone studying Greek

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
easy to use logical progression

3.0 out of 5 stars Designed for linguistic geniuses, 3 Nov. 2014
D. J. Barnsdale "Daivid" (London,Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greek Beyond GCSE (Paperback)
I really liked his other books in the series but here he seems to have lost his way. The grammar explanations are as good as ever. The exercises are totally inadequate. The has one section on μι verbs covering several different variants with all tenses and expects this to be solidified with a mere 15 sentences. I can only assume that at the school he teaches the average students have given up at this stage and he has an advanced class of linguistic geniuses. Normal folk will need a lot more practice. The readings are adaptions from real Greek and the in some ways the adaption makes it harder not easier. With the original you have the help of commentaries and translations while the adaption is just sufficient to make those aids unusable. And then there is a whole chapter of unadapted texts which to my mind is a waste of space. There are loads of Greek texts available free online. The space uses should have been used for more exercises.
On the other hand, good textbooks at this level don't really exist and this may well be the best available

Greek Beyond GCSE
Greek Beyond GCSE by John Taylor (Paperback - 20 July 2008)