on 18 August 2004
'Marie Claire Flavours is an invitation to an intoxicating sensory journey that will not only excite the taste buds but also tantalise the mind.
From the mellow smoothness of vanilla to the tangy bite of citrus, the seductive sweetness of chocolate to the fiery punch of chilli, 'flavours' lets you explore the origins of 14 aromatic ingredients and offers simple and mouth-watering recipes for you to make.
In classic Donna Hay style, 'flavours' proves that preparing delicious food from fresh ingredients need not be difficult.'

Simple but fresh paperback cover opens to 192 pages, split over 9 chapters:-

Chocolate
Salt + Pepper
Basil + Mint
Cinnamon + Spice

with an introduction, a glossary and an index.

The quality of writing one has come to expect from Marie Claire publications.
Each chapter opens with 'basic notes' relevant to the particular flavouring and a 'good ideas' section.
Each recipe is clearly laid out with a list of ingredients, number of servings and the method.
Brilliant photography throughout.

A taste of the recipes contained within:-

Vanilla Meringues
Duck in Star Anise Broth
Coconut Fish Curry
Cinnamon Jelly with Plums
on 21 September 2003
This is the most spectacular cookbook ever! I borrowed this from the library along with a stack of others when I first left home, and within weeks had brought my own copy to keep forever! The layout of the pages is clear and very well presented in the typical Donna Hay style, with excellent colour pictures of every single dish. There are pages of excellent little tips on each of the sections. The sections include 'lemon and lime', 'salt and pepper', 'herbs', and my favourite 'chocolate' recipes, to name only a few. You have to see this book! My favourite recipe so far: pasta with chilli and bacon. But I'm still trying every single one out... If you love cooking, but this - you will love using it.
on 25 July 2008
Ticks all the right boxes to make this a practical & useable cookbook:
- Pictures of every dish
- Simple easy to follow recipes
- Not too many ingredients, not too hard to find in the supermarket
- Most recipes are healthy and low in fat / cals
- Organising by flavour rather than course inspires me, makes it easier to find a recipe I can actually bother to try!
- Many of the recipes are similar with variations in the main flavour - a great way to learn how to invent your own recipes

I own so many cookbooks that I never ever use (but always promise myself that I will) and I wish there were more books out there like this one.
on 2 November 2000
I love Donna Hay's cooking and New Entertaining is one of my most frequently used cookbooks - regardless of whether I'm entertaining or not! This new book is just as good as Donna's passions are very similar to my own so recipes based on vanilla, garlic, chocolate, chilli, basil and ginger (not all together I hasten to add!) are just perfect. Her aussie style comes through loud and clear once again. I thought I'd done everything possible with pasta but her "Spaghetti with Lime and Rocket" showed me a fabulous new twist. The photography is beautiful too, you really feel like you can taste and smell these goodies as you read through. Reading this book on an empty stomach is sheer torture!
on 7 March 2013
The Book was ok but copy was not new and had clearly been used by someone else. There was food between the pages.....Really don't think that it should have been sold as new!