on 5 April 2005
This is a truly lovely book. If you are a K.Fasset or Erhman fan then you will love this too!
For the novice this book provides inspiration as to what you might achieve one day. For the more experienced stitcher there is advice on designing and planning tapestries with pictures in glorious colour.
The only down sides are that not every featured design is charted and in order to work those that are you will have to photocopy and enlarge the chart first - but then you may not want to work straight from the book anyway.
on 31 August 2012
A tapestry is woven, not stitched on canvas. Apart from that grouse, this book will please those who like to stitch pictures as there are several - gardens and landscapes and a lovely waterfall. Lots of floral pieces too, and butterflies, flamingos and fish. The projects are, to be fair, very nice ( except the fish ! ) and there are 20 for you to do.

The charts are terrible, black and white and too small. She does say that the charts are intended to be enlarged but I'm not sure how you'd go about that; I like to be able to have the book next to me when I'm working with a sensible sized colour block chart, so thumbs down from me for that.

For my money,there are better books about than this one I'm afraid.
on 7 November 2012
Some lovely projects in this book. However, my main concern is that whilst the colours required are stated, there is no information about how much wool you will need. I am intending to start the kingfisher 'tapestry' but am not sure if 10 metres of each colour will be enough. I cannot see anything mentioned re: quantities required anywhere in the book, and I find it unlikely that the bigger projects never exceed this amount. Not very helpful really, so fingers crossed that I won't be having to find extra wool at a later date! As stated by another reviewer, some pictures are just there to show what the author has done previously, (such as the waterfall, flamingoes and a garden with an ornamental fountain), it's a bit annoying to have such lovely pictures with the size of the piece stated, all the colours used cited yet no chart given to make them yourself?! Very odd.
Personally, I love the fish projects, I think they are 'young' and vibrantly coloured, but there are a number of fruit bowl type designs that my Great-Grandmother might have liked, (am sure my Gran would have thought them old-fashioned), that certainly don't appeal to me! It's all a matter of personal taste and I think everyone would find a few appealing designs in this book.
The projects are all worked in Paterna yarns which worried me initially when I found they have ceased trading. Fortunately before I got too fed up about this I found a chart at the back which gives the code for each colour in DMC and Anchor wool instead. Bit of a 'faff' to work out what codes you need but at least the hard work is already done for you!
on 20 August 2012
Nothing to do with Kaffe Fassett.
All down to Gill.
Good, nevertheless.
Just a bit of marketing.
Nice needlepoint, though it has nothing to do with Tapestry
on 28 February 2015
There are lots of good full colour illustrations and notes on design however, there are only charts for some of the design and those that are included are of very poor quality - they are black and white with symbols representing the colours, added to this they are very small. The designs are complex and interesting although, to be able to use the charts, in my opinion, one would need to to photocopy and enlarge then quite considerably.
on 7 September 2013
Kaffe Fassett's tapestry book is excellent and with beautiful photographs. I would recommend it to anyone interested in this designer.
on 5 March 2013
Good to be able to acquire these earlier publications. Tapestry does not seem so popular these days but still a rewarding hobby.
on 15 March 2016
I just love the book and will use some of the pattern to make a chair
on 16 April 2016