5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute goldmine, 4 Nov 2009
Laura (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book alongside another 'workshop ideas' book and the difference between the two was striking. This book isn't flashy, but it is densely packed with ideas that have clearly been tried and tested. I used some of them immediately in some training I ran and they worked great. I found that the book reminded me of some techniques and tools that I had forgotten, or not thought about using in a workshop setting, and gave me the confidence to try out some of the crazier ideas too! The notes on cultural contexts were really useful too. If you are interested in participation or even already an experienced trainer I'd strongly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Need a kick start or just a bit of inspiration?, 9 July 2010
M. W. Russell - See all my reviews
A "how to" book with lots of tips and alternatives for most eventualities. Even as a experienced presenter and facilitator, I have dipped in and out of this useful book and found things to try first time or things I have not done for a while and tried again. Something for almost every situation.

The only thing I did not like was the excruciatingly poor graphics which I found irritating, but this is probably just personal taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, 18 Feb 2011
I bought this book having been asked to run a workshop for around 20 people at senior management level, based in Eastern Europe. It certainly provided some interesting ideas that were clearly based on practical experience in a non-European setting (there are many references to possible cultural landmines). The material is pretty densely packed and I found it best to dip into the book rather than trying to read it cover to cover. I am not sure that I shall be able to use many of the ideas in the specific workshop I am to run but some can certainly be adapted. Another reviewer mentions the poor graphics. I would go further. The overall design of the book could in my view use a complete makeover: page layout is cramped and the typeface too small for easy reading - another reason to dip rather than read in full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, clear book packed with ideas, 1 May 2006
This is a great book with good tips and techniques for opening, running and evaluating participatory sessions. It's written in a fun, engaging way; the author speaks from his experience and appreciates the difficulties of successfully making this work! It's an inspiring, enthusiastic, supportive handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 July 2013
Some great ideas for workshops with icebreakers included. Used it many times and would recommend for any person carrying out training.

Participatory Workshops: A Sourcebook of 21 Sets of Ideas and Activities