on 4 August 2003
when i first heard of the book i was doubtful of it's realism, but once i had read it it became as real as my life!
This is a touching and tragic story of a young girl who frequently has crushes on older women.
I couldn't believe how touched i was when i read it, it is a hard book to read but once you get into it you won't want to put it down.
It is really a beautifully written book, and one of the best that i have read in a long time!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Set just before World War I, this is a beautifully written book, following Manuela von Meinhardis through her sunny childhood with her beloved mother and Prussian cavalry officer father. As she grows older, she begins to develop romantic feelings for a woman she has met.... (spoiler alert)
The second half of the novel is about Manuela's time at a harsh girls' boarding school. In the bleak surroundings, Manuela looks to the only pleasant member of staff, Fraulein von Bernberg, for affection.
The true sadness comes when the reader compares the first sentence - "Manuela was a longed-for child" - with the ending. Makes one consider the interplay of societal restrictions, dysfunctional family and one's own personality on turning a happy infant into a wretched teenager.
on 23 August 2014
A must read 'lesbian-interest' book.

I guess that you have first watched the two films (1931, 1958) named Madchen In Uniform. Both films are based on the Part II of this novel, while the Part I of the book, seems to be an introduction to the main story.

Girl loses her beloved mother at young age and becomes interested in older women who are motherly to her. Her boyfriend's mother and later, her teacher.

It is highly dramatic and somewhat depressing, and the ending of it makes the reader... miserable.
It's worth reading-- but becomes REALLY interesting after the half of all pages.
on 4 September 2011
I was really impressed with the store and the quality of the book I ordered. I also enjoyed the quick international shipping (obviously :]).

My only concern was that in the product detail the year/version of the book wasn't indicated, so I really took a chance when I decided to order. I wasn't sure if I was getting the original 1934 version or a 1970s version..

Luckily I received the 1934 version at an unbeatable price. Either way, a great product from a great store.