5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and addictive
I love this book (and its successor the second virago book of fairy tales). It contains fairy tales from all around the world, the common thread being that they are focused on women. Some of them seem familiar - variations on tales we know but with different cultural twists. Some are completely new to me (eg from African and Inuit traditions).
Although you might...
Published on 9 Mar 2004 by Inanna

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what expected
Can't complain at a charge of 1 pence, but surprised at description as 'Very Good' - cover scuffed, paper foxed and strong smell of tobacco or similar!
Published 22 days ago by Ledbury 26

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and addictive, 9 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Although you might think that a book of fairy tales is for children, I don't think that this one is - many of them are too rude or too gruesome. This one is for grown-ups to savour and delight in. (Since I discovered it, many of my friends have received it as a present).
I placed it in my "smallest room library", as short stories are perfect for that place, and judging by the chuckles and rather-longer-than-usual visits, it has been appreciated!

5.0 out of 5 stars To be re-read many times, 3 Dec 2010
EA Jenkins (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales (Paperback)
Bawdy, bleak, funny and some happy endings. Not at all what disney had in mind. I have re read them over many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 6 Feb 2014
I am interested in fairy stories and their cultural references - this collection illustrates that perfectly. My kids love them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 30 Aug 2012
I was really happy to discover the old edition of this book is still around, as the new edition doesn't seem to be as good (by reading other people's reviews). This book is a little gem. Some of the stories are disturbing, some funny, some moving, but all leave you with something. I particularly loved the language: Carter chose to write up the stories in the closest possible way to how people would tell them in their native languages, and it really works. Fairytale books are usually "polished"and cleansed from sex and violence, whereas these stories feel real and vivid. Really great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what expected, 31 Oct 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Adult Fairy Stories !!!, 13 Dec 2007
Marie Butler "dominique595" (united kingdom / Perth Au) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales (Paperback)
I have just sold this book. I started to read it because it did not look like a normal childrens fairy story book. Wow ! I read three of the tales and almost peed my pants.... I had to force myself to get it wrapped and dispached. I wish now i'd told the guy it was lost and kept it for my self. Whoever buys this book will be in for a great suprise.

The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales
The Virago Book Of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (Paperback - 24 Oct 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01