5.0 out of 5 stars Took me back, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Best of Jennings: Four Utterly Wizard Adventures All Jolly Well Complete and Unabridged (Paperback)
What a superb Christmas present from me to me! The stories took me right back to when I was ten years old and desperately wanted to join Jennings at his school. I even pestered my father to let me go to a boarding school but he didn't have the money - I would probably have hated it in real life. Anyway, for those of you who want to wallow in a little nostalgia, this is the book for you. It actually came as a surprise to me that the stories are so well constructed and written - and the gentle humour works for adults as well as children.

5.0 out of 5 stars new term at Linbury Court, England, Earth, Solar System, 6 Jun 2011
Kerry Johns (Hampstead, London, UK) - See all my reviews
My brother devoured the Jennings books when I was little and so I read them too. Years later I tried to find the stories to share with my own brood. But they had been modernised and made horribly policitally correct. So I was very pleased to see that someone has had the good sense to reprint the originals with all the period details. To be honest, they were a teeny bit old fashioned wven when we read them but who cares. If it did not refelect our state school life then so what. None of my kids went to Hogwarts and they all did Maths and English instead of Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. But that did not stop them reading Harry Potter. So welcome back Jen, Darbi and Old Wilkie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which Wizard Adventures?, 31 Dec 2009

- Jennings' Little Hut
- Jennings and Darbishire

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I remember!!, 17 Mar 2012
Janet Male "oya1" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved the Jennings books when I was a girl: my brother told me to give them a try. I was a bit dubious, being a great fan of The Chalet School books. Why would I want to read about boring old boys? Anyway one rainy day, in the school hols, when I was about nine, I settled down to read the first one...and was addicted by the end of the first chapter. The same brother who told me to read them in the first place got me this book for Christmas. I am so glad he did. They are even better than I remember them. I have been reading bits out to my hubby who has never read them, poor deprived lad, and he is impressed by how beautifully written they are.

They are funny and sweet and it is wonderful going back to a more innocent time, and often my stomach hurts from laughing at the scrapes the two lovable lads get into!! It is a real tonic and I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

I have been making it last, and have been reading it in the bath, where my Kindle would not be feasible, so it is rather dog eared, in fact is probably in the condition most of Jennings' books would have been in! I will be so sad to get to the last page, and will have to see what else of the fun duo, the lovely Mr Carter, 'bark worse than bite' Old Wilkie et al is in print, or Kindlable!!

Wizard!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-Wizzo-Sonic!!, 10 Feb 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
In one omnibus edition we have here the first four Jennings novels. Anthony Buckeridge originally started off writing a radio script that then became a series, and then two years later he started writing novels as well. In this collection we have the first year of Jennings' school life at Linbury Court Preparatory School, where he makes friends with another new pupil, Darbishire.

Jennings Goes to School

Settling into a boarding school can be a very trying time, but Jennings, with his friend Darbishire soon cause all sorts of mayhem, especially when it comes to fire drill.

Jennings Follows A Clue

When Jennings is read 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' by Mr Carter, he knows that there is only one course for him to follow, to become a great detective. With Darbishire in tow he sets up his own detective agency, but when a real crime takes place, will he be able to solve it?

Jennings' Little Hut

When the boys are allowed to build their own huts by the pond, you just know mayhem will ensue, especially when a prospective new pupil is shown around.

Jennings and Darbishire

When Jennings gets a camera and a printing set for his birthday there is only one thing to do, start a school magazine. But with Jennings and Darbishire in charge you know things won't be going well, especially when they decide to have competitions in it.

If you have never read these before then you are in for a real treat, if you have then it is about time to relive all the magic. With Anthony Buckeridge's humour, showing how things can go awry if people take things out of context and quite literally, there is a lot to laugh at in these books, and you will easily see why they are loved around the world. Also there are some great illustrations supplied by John Ridgeway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to a Children's classic, 16 May 2011
Mr Tombs (Pamplona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Reading these books at night to my ten year old took me back to more innocent times. Although you might think four books could be heavy to hold this edition is surprisingly light and very well made. The stories are light, gentle and still funny today.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great publishing idea! My boyhood can now be re-dreamed!, 29 Nov 2009
A few years ago it was reported that the Jennings books would be going out of print; I don't know who took this decision but it was a grave error, both commercially and artistically. Buckeridge created such a wonderful world of innocence and hilarity that even if in this politically correct climate the society he describes seems anachronistic (and I write as a champion of political correctness!) it cannot fail to charm. I went to a grammar school - rememebr those? - as a day boy but often yearned to be a pupil at somewhere like Linbury Court. And I haven't even received the book yet!! Get going, Her Majesty's Mail and that right soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the real thing, 14 July 2010
What a great idea to include four wonderful Jennings stories in one large volume. The only thing missing was the original feel of a single book with its cover. Hopefully another set (or more) might be made available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great,45 years on, 23 Nov 2009
Yes,it's been 45 years since I last read these,and they are as good as ever.How I wish some enterprising company would reprint the great Billy Bunter stories,though...they should be always available,we old boys need our nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corwump! As good as I remembered..., 31 Dec 2013
I was given this collection as Christmas present - yahoo!! - and the stories are actually rather better than even I remembered them. Although I read editions in the early 70s (well, yes, allright, I admit it, I was reading them in the 80s and 90s too...) I think maybe even those versions had slightly 'updated' language as I don't recall all of the fabulous slang that Jennings & Co use in this edition.

The stories are great - still laugh out loud funny - and I would think that they would be just as popular with a new generation; in fact I intend to try them out on my friend's eight year old.

There's really nothing bad to say about these stories: funny, oh-so-true-to-life (how often did our childish good intentions have appalling consequences? and how often did teachers misunderstand our explanations?), and thoroughly 'nice'. Fossilised fishhooks! Go get a copy now!

Used & New from: £35.00