5.0 out of 5 stars Our Finest Hour, 2 Oct 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Our Finest Hour

Between the ages of 11 and 13 I used to devour war comics. I would get four a month of war picture library. There were others but I favoured these as the stories were always realistic.

We learnt that Germans would say things like Achtung shwienhund and Donner and blitzen.

Most of my friends would read them even though I was at the same time devouring novels and other magazines like Eagle or Hotspur.

I don't remember when I stopped reading them but one day I didn't. I then never went back to them

As a result I had a good working knowledge of the second world war as that was what was mostly depicted.

Rereading them now I can see they were stirring stories of heroics and the British were fighting for the right cause and they were helped by all their plucky allies. When I was younger I remember kids saying to me of yes that story is true because either their dad said or their dad remembers it happening. That added authenticity as you really believed what peoples dad's said.

It is a pity we didn't learn our history in the same way.

Great books and you had to be reasonably literate to read them so they weren't just kid's stuff. I never remember anyone in my generation not being able to read or not wanting to read.

Highly recommended to those who remember those innocent days when all we had to deal with was fighting the second world war and seeing off the German and the Japanese.The war films the British made in the fifties and sixties were really live action versions of the comics that we read. They all had a good moral and if any British servicemen ever was underhand or sneaky he paid the ultimate sacrifice by giving up his life for his squadron or regiment.

All good uplifting stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graphic Novels, 11 Jan 2010
Mr. Paul J. Clawson (Milton Keynes Bucks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
I remember my Dad bringing these home for me every week and saying before you swap I want to read it great memmories. Takes you back to school days my kids read these after me and get as much pleasure as I use to

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia for boys, 31 Aug 2008
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
Yes men of a certain age (I don't think many girls read these or the Commando books) will know what to expect here and wallow in the nostalgia. Thankfully not processed to be PC - they are of their time and therefore serve a historical purpose as well as being great entertainment. I was regalling my son only a couple of weeks ago of how I would wait for the War and Battle picture libraries Summer specials to take on holidays and how they would hold me enthralled for hours and of course we all were able to go out and fight pretend battles of our own. I prefferred these comics to the slightly more staid Commando books but devour all of them as well as the weekly doses of Victor, Hotspur and the Eagle.

Ah those were the days....and by the way my son loves these as well. Achtung Schweinhund! Indeed

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 16 April 2014
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
Brought back memories of a very happy childhood. Recommended for young boys of all ages who wish to recapture their youth.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
RECOMMENDED RETAILER WILL DEFO USE AGAIN IN THE FUTURE AND I HOPE MY CUSTOM IS ALWAYS WELCOME.. ? 5 STARS *****

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
good condition all ok for a nice time with old war stories
Nice volume and all stories very interesting
I will buy more f

5.0 out of 5 stars Against all odds, 18 July 2013
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
I found this commando to be brill, it was just full of action I could not put it down, its well worth its 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past!, 30 Dec 2008
This review is from: "War Picture Library": Against All Odds (Paperback)
Another brilliant collection from the War Picture Library. A must for anyone interested in the comic book war stories from yesteryear!

Buy it now!

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

"War Picture Library": Against All Odds
"War Picture Library": Against All Odds by Steve Holland (Paperback - 4 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01