5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and informative
The book gives a concise and fascinating guide to the history and varieties of English dress styles. Moreover, it is able deeply point out the classic nature of traditional dress, which does not fail to resound in the hearts of every traditional (if slightly eccentric in some cases) heart.
Although the book does give very helpful details on consistency and possible...
Published on 24 Jan. 2004 by Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Only really useful if you want the history of men's dress
Published on 29 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Only really useful if you want the history of men's dress, 29 July 2001
By A Customer
What I was hoping for was some tips on what to wear with what and perhaps more importantly, what NOT to wear. However, what I got from this book was primarily (as one of the other reviews says) a history of where jackets, ties and so on came from. Very interesting in itself but not what I wanted or thought I was getting. To be fair there are a few tips of the type I sought at the end of each chapter but they are few and limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and informative, 24 Jan. 2004
Although the book does give very helpful details on consistency and possible faux-pas, it does NOT act as a substitute for style or taste. It merely points out possibilities for the self-selecting wearer. If you are looking for what tee-shirts will suit your jeans and trainers, you will not find it here. Thank Goodness!
This having been said, the book fails to mention cravats, and mentions only scanty details of the Peacock Revolution.
I came across this book whilst looking for some points on waistcoats, and was delighted the whimsical world which I discovered to exist in some peoples' wardrobes. I shall be buying a bowler hat next Monday.
Indispensible!

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensible guide for smart chaps., 15 Oct. 2001
red_monkey - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A nifty little gem of a book that sets us chaps straight on matters of sartorial elegance. The book could be a tad bigger and more detailed, but then it wouldn't be a pocket guide would it! Should you wear a half-brogue or a full brogue? How do I fold my pocket hanky? Cuff-links or buttons? Tweeds or linens? But just remember chaps, a real gent must never unfurl his umbrella. If it's raining, an umbrella serves as the ideal impliment to hail a cab with. Toodle-pip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly useful, 4 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
If you are attempting to gain knowledge of any aspects of correct British Dress and the history behind it, then look no further. The book is written with a dry wit and attention to detail, as important to have in your wardrobe as the clothes themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Well-dressed Gentleman's Pocket Guide (Hardcover)
I was expecting something more practical and less history. There is very little recommendation about what is appropriate to wear on different occasions or venues, in the book.

My conclusion is that the book is valuable, but the advertisement does not reflect it's nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men's style made easy, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Well-dressed Gentleman's Pocket Guide (Hardcover)
Bought this for a mate, it was more a novelty gift as I am a bit eccentric. All joking aside it is a great pocket guide forums men who have a lot of pressure on us to make sure we are properly attired for any event. Since most of us don't have our own butlers to make sure our wardrobes are taken care of this is a great guide to keep us properly informed for when we might have a special event to attend. It has guides for all kinds of things from suits, to shoes, to bow ties to pocket squares. With this book we men are always in the know style wise. A must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for real gentlemen., 27 April 2001
Martin P. O'Keefe (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This book is perfect if you want to know how one should dress exactly. It is perhaps a little old-fashioned, but it is also highly informative. Indispensable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aw, Man, 26 Sept. 2009
This review is from: A Well-dressed Gentleman's Pocket Guide (Hardcover)
Obviously dated. A guide for gentlemen in an age of chavs and designer wannabes? You won't find any advice here about what to wear with that gaudy pair of Cavalli trousers or your new blingy D&G shirt. Instead this book instructs on the "proper" way to wear clothes, pointers about what quality material to purchase as well as being a great source of the history of clothing. Above all, Oscar Lenius is a snooty wit.

A Well-dressed Gentleman's Pocket Guide
A Well-dressed Gentleman's Pocket Guide by Oscar Lenius (Hardcover - 2 May 2006)