5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and compelling
Published on 24 May 2008 by Jerz Jurkiewicz

This is a fantastic story, hugely moving and a real sense of place is achieved as the story gradually unwinds. Absolutely brilliant.

Published on 27 Aug. 2010 by Scribula

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and compelling, 24 May 2008
Jerz Jurkiewicz "Jerz" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources (Film Ink) (Paperback)
These two books are amongst my favourites. I liked them so much I had to get the DVDs and audio tapes which are equally as good. Set in Provence in the 1920s the story relates how two characters from a prominent family plot to obtain a farm for its water to grow carnations. They block the farm's spring and after a hunchback who becomes it's owner, and his young family fail after much hard work on the farm, the hunchback dies and they step in as "saviours". They buy the farm for a pitance and miraculously discover water almost immediately.

The second book occurs about five years later and is about Manon, the hunchback's daughter, who is about sixteen. She is a shepherdess living in the hills and finds out the truth and that some of the villagers knew but did nothing. She accidently finds the source of the village's spring - and she is out for revenge.

I own a bookshop and read prolifically. This book is one of my favourites and is so good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, but the translation may not be to your tastes., 27 Aug. 2010

If, like me, you are resident outside the USA and have seen the films by Claude Berri, then you may understand my main grievance which lies in this edition and the translation by W E van Heyningen. And the fact that he is American and it shows in his translation.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a fair amount of American fiction, but having seen the films a large part of their appeal, and so part of the appeal of reading the books, is their UN-American-ness. The joy of the films is that they are not Hollywood, but very French. I know I am not alone in this enjoyment of things non-Hollywood, though I acknowledge that many others have an equally forceful distrust of any films that have subtitles, and I also enjoy many Hollywood films. The point is that both the films and the book are not American or Hollywood. And they are enjoyable because of it.

Now, the translation is clearly by an American, as one sees countless "colors", "neighbors" and other spellings that give the game away. These were not really that much of a distraction for me. What is, however, are mentions of "ass" instead of "arse", which gets comically confusing considering the beast of burden being mentioned a lot is a mule.... also (going along the lines of all things bottom) "butt" is mentioned a couple of times, which made me stop; but when one character made another "kiss his fanny" at boules, I had to go for a walk! Quite aside from the anatomical complexities involved as all the participants were male, that kind of language inevitably colours (with a U) one's interpretation of the text.

Another thing that bugged me was that the translator did a few of those show-off flourishes of rendering a particular word unclear. "Limbert" is the word I can recall - what the heck is a Limbert? It emerges from the text that it must be a lizard, but as to why the translator didn't just say lizard, or what is particular about a limbert as compared to a lizard, just is not clear. And then there are those stray words (not that many in truth, but a few) that are just left in French. This gambit always makes me go a bit wild - is the translator indicating that this particular word is so, oh I don't know..., "French" that they feel compelled to NOT translate it? Well pardonez moi, but is it not your job, for goodness sake? Just do your best! ....oooh, don't get me going.....

However I don't doubt the translator's hard work, or authoritativeness, as many passages read very well indeed, though what I am also saying is that there are some that clearly don't, and they sort of stick out a bit. He has also provided a map to indicate where the fictional places are located in real life, but due to a slight crapness in this edition, it is reproduced at such a scale as to make all detail just (but only just) too small to be actually readable. Neat trick that..... However, I am not sure that there are any other translations available of these books - my brief search seems to indicate not, and having read this one, I'm not sure I could be bothered to read it again in a different translation. The films, however, I could view any number of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book(s), 3 Oct. 2006
If you've seen the films first, you will like the books even better. The books fill in the parts which left you puzzled in the films. Buy it and you won't be able to put it down. I will read my copy again and again, and watch the DVD again and again too!

5.0 out of 5 stars almost unbearably moving, 23 Jan. 2008
I'd not read much French literature before this book, but I thought I'd give it a try.From the beginning I was spellbound-the prose and narrative was fabulous and in Jean himself, Pagnol gave us a character so involving in his vigour and optimism, one couldn't help but warm to him .As the story progressed to its tragic conclusion your heart went out to his wife and the beguiling Manon . At the same time , his protagonists never come across as 'boo hiss ' baddies-just greedy and selfish but human for all that.The situation is of course resolved in Manon of the Springs (equally recommended!), but this book moved me immensely - an easy 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources, 20 Mar. 2009
Mr. Gf Ferguson "Book buff" (Cheadle, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
When I first got this book and saw that the film version was in French and subtitled, I thought, hey up, i'll soon be asleep to this one. Could not have been further from the truth! What a brilliant film! It kept me awake, and that's a surprise in itself. The book and film had everything, tenderness, warmth, betrayal, deadly passion and revenge, and most of all, true love. Absolutely brilliant. I have seen the film about five time now. Even my 14 year old likes it. That is a truly meracle in itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Opened my eyes to foreign literature, 27 Mar. 2008
Jerz Jurkiewicz "Jerz" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
I saw the two novels in one (Jean de Florette and Manon Des Sources) and thought I would give it a try. What a superb story. I was so taken with it that I had to get the DVDs and then the audio tape.
Set in the 1920s in Provence and full of the simplistic ways of life the story unfolds into tragedy, revenge, satisfaction and finally a bitter twist. Pagnol has a special way of bringing the chracters to life and you feel that you are wandering around the arid landscape and hills in the heat watching the principle characters. Manon's revenge for her Father's death seems just but ironic with these simple people, and at the end you empathise with her but at the same time in a strange way, with the protagonoists. A very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Perfection., 6 Jun. 2008
R. T. (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I think this book is simply wonderful. Pagnol has the great gift of making the simplest of things entrancing. Why are not more of his books available in translation. That said, he is a good reason, one of my reasons, for learning French.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful adaptation of a beautiful novel, 5 Dec. 2010
John (London UK) - See all my reviews
These two French-language films are adaptations of the first and second halves of Pagnol's novel, "L'eau des Collines". Jean de Florette is famous for its beautiful soundtrack and incredible scenery. The film transports me to southern France and I can feel the heat of the summer through the screen. The characters are well-acted and credible so the viewer really cares about what happens to them.

Manon Des Sources completes the story and maintains the high standards of the first film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple tale of family folly set in the hazy sun-drenched hills of Provence, 27 Jun. 2010
A mesmeric concoction of fluid narrative and poetic imagery re-tracing a saga born of humanity and our failings, encompassing tragedy, comedy, the banal and, above all, the 'every-day' - mortality on a cheese board served with roast lamb/rosemary and a long glass of something pink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and Tragedy in Rural Provence., 16 Sept. 2013
When reading this French classic of its time, you are instantly transported into bygone rural Provence and all its beauty.
The 2 stories of Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources follow the connected lives of families living in , and close to a tiny village . Pagnol, a writer of enormous skill, evocatively describes his characters , the hardships suffered, village rivalry, family feuds, and loves gained and lost. The strength of his characters and their connected lives in a story of both love and tragedy is so beautifully written , you just want to read more and more of Pagnol's masterpieces.

Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources (Film Ink)
Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources (Film Ink) by Marcel Pagnol (Paperback - 1 May 2004)