5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful portrayal of a language class

3.0 out of 5 stars A funny but not THAT funy book
Published on 1 Nov. 2000 by Marketa

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful portrayal of a language class, 27 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Return of Hyman Kaplan (Prion Humour Classics) (Hardcover)
This really is hysterically funny! The teacher's wry observations of his student's irrepressible approach to life in general and the logic (or lack of it) of language in particular is just wonderful. As someone who has both taught and studied in language schools, I find so much that is instantly recognisable. All of the characters, whether "First I was born" Kaplan, the loyal Pinsky, their adversaries or the teacher himself live from the moment you meet them. And this is no patronising xenophobic mockery of foreigners doing their imperfect best to master a difficult language; the jokes are at least as often on the long-suffering teacher as they are on his students. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as 'The Education of Hyman K*A*P*L*A*N', 5 Feb. 2009
R. Langley - See all my reviews
I bought 'The Education of Hyman Kaplan' after listening to the excellent Kerry Shale read it on BBC radio - I still have his voices in my head which helped me enjoy the book.
I got 'The return' for Christmas and enjoyed it just as much as the original (which I have re-read a number of times). A pity that the Kerry Shale recordings cost so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another must., 9 Feb. 2014
Mr. Robert Metcalfe "Para Handy" (Leeds. Yorks.) - See all my reviews
A continuance of Hyman's 'education' and thus another must for anyone seeking to tap on his vision and insight , not to speak of the frustration of his tutor. Just enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 3 Feb. 2014
It's day this was a runaway success. Very nice to be able to read it again. Many a jolly chuckle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love KAPLAN, 21 July 2013
D. Luge (Hartford, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I have been reading and re-reading the Kaplan books for all of 50 years. They still entertain even now. Great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still loved it!, 3 July 2010
Jana Mikova "czech chick" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Mr Kaplan makes me laugh out loud anytime, but I have to say in comparison with the first book, this one doesn't quite make the grade. Nevertheless, it's worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars KAPLAN, 16 Dec. 2004
THE FUNNIEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ

3.0 out of 5 stars A funny but not THAT funy book, 1 Nov. 2000
An older friend of mine has recommended this book to me. He said that he was rolling with laughter all the time. So full of anticipation I read this book. Every time I turned a page and started to read I expected to burst into laughter...alas, it was not to be. Occasionally a small smile appeared - but no burst of laughter. It is a pleasant read but obviously does not cater to all sense of humour. I found the whole setting somewhat outdated and a bit patronising to foreign people in any country which they may want to make their own.

The Return of Hyman Kaplan (Prion Humour Classics)
The Return of Hyman Kaplan (Prion Humour Classics) by Leo Rosten (Hardcover - 30 May 2000)
Used & New from: £6.02