on 11 September 2013
Rivetting story, with lots of information about Wellington that I had not known before. He was a truly remarkable man, and a natural soldier. This was achieved by a lot of research on his part. I loved the fact that he picked some Hindustani.
on 6 November 2015
I bought the Kindle edition while touring around Southern India, and I wanted to learn more about Wellington's time in India. The book gave a clear overview of both the military and political situation and events. I also learned a lot about his brother, Richard who was Governor General of India.
I rate as only 4 stars because the Kindle edition had technical problems with dates, many appear as "on the nth" One or two typos were also annoying. Secondly, a few maps would have helped.
Overall, I would recommend, as the book is well written and informative.
on 18 October 2014
I am not qualified to review it, but I was satisfied that it provided me with a detailed history of Arthur Wellesley's Indian campaigns. I would recommend Jak Weller's other two books, 'Wellington in the Peninsula' and 'Wellington at Waterloo'. Between them the hree books give sufficient information on Wellington's military career for the interested amateur.
on 29 March 2014
Well researched and presented, by a very able author. Excellent photos of the main areas and battlefields give you a real understanding of the terrain and difficulties encountered.
on 30 May 2013
I had read the book before and enjoyed it so much that when it was reissued I bought it straight away, together with the other two books in the series.
on 6 January 2015
still reading this book by Jac Weller really good
on 4 July 2013
I purchased this book for my husband because he loves history, he is due to visit India for the first time shortly.
He is really enjoying the book - it is hard to pull him away from it - and is learning a lot.
The book arrived within 2 days of the order- v. well packaged