on 17 June 2005
The One Parent - One Language Approach is well defended by this book but I found it counter to my own excellent experience of both parents using both languages in conversation with myself and my sister. The point about attempting to be a bilingual family is to follow an approach best suited to the whole family situation. This book is trying to pursuade you of a single method. I would recommend instead that you read The Bilingual Family by Edith Harding-Esch and Philip Riley which offers questions to the parents about how they can create a bilingual family and find right approach for them. "The Bilingual Family" is not as prescriptive in its approach and I welcome that. I have colleagues who are married to persons from other countries, and I have recommended that they read "The Bilingual Family" rather than "Language Strategies for Bilingual Families: The One-Parent - One-Language Approach."
on 16 August 2011
This book offers various case studies and insights on the various ways of applyinig the famous OPOL approach. It provides a good range of examples so you take your own decision on how to raise bilingual children. I also found quite useful the list of websites and other reference books the author provides at the end of the book so as to find more information on this topic and get in touch with other bilingual families.

It is true, though, thorough proofreading is needed as the text is full of editing and spelling errors which make it difficult to read, especially for readers whose native language is not English. I suggest also revising the Italian names, which are always spelt wrong.
on 19 January 2008
I found this to be one of the better books on bringing up bilingual children and the one parent one language strategy seems to be working for our family (5,4,18m). I also liked the bilingual parents handbook (harding and riley) and raising multilingual children.
on 27 May 2008
As a language graduate and mother to two potentially bilingual children, I was very interested to read about the best strategies for achieving bilingualism. However, this book was so littered with horrendous spelling and grammar errors that I couldn't bring myself to read past the first chapter. This was a shame, as I am sure the content would have been both useful and informative. Surely a book written about language should contain a reasonable level of language itself. A poor standard of English will make the reader doubt the quality of the content. Please let me know when you have invested in a good proof reader and I will buy the next edition!