4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all those studying, whatever their age!
Published on 23 April 2007 by Anon

2.0 out of 5 stars Book has not been checked
Published 16 months ago by Mrs. Linsey S. Fairhurst

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all those studying, whatever their age!, 23 April 2007
This review is from: Get Better Grades: Cool Study Skills for Red Hot Results (Paperback)
I bought this book after a fascinating and extremely funny talk by Lee Pascal at my daughters school. I have two girls, one studying A levels and the other GCSE. I was also at the time, struggling to finish various Open College assignements. His talk was so enlightening that everyone, parents and students alike were enthralled and we all learnt a lot - with his ideas, I managed to finish my homework that I had been dreading in half the time anticipated. The book is also very informative, light hearted text and lots of diagrams and top tips for better study techniques and also better living techniques to improve our concentration that we can all relate to whatever our age. You dont need to sit down and (yawn) read it from cover to cover, its not that sort of book. You can just pick it up any time and whatever page you flip to, you will learn something new that is interesting and fun that you are bound to remember to help you. I highly recommend this book for anyone with children at that critical age, or adults who have returned to study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Better Grades, 27 Aug. 2011
I'v read a fair few books on various study skills and memory techniques, this little book pretty much introduces the majority of them. It's only 133 pages long so easy to read for most in a weekend. Light hearted, with cartoons, diagrams, and easy to understand instructions, it meets with most peoples wants.

It doesn't cover things like going to University or college but more for those studying at school but is ok for all ages (Im in my 40s). If you want something to show you the ropes, to dip your toes in the subject without spending a lot then this is a book for you.

It's designed to be read here and there, and not front to back as normal, so ideally set up for reference. Keep the sticky notes ready to mark the pages.

I would recommend it for any student, and parent or those returning to education after a while.

The book is A5 size, so will fit in most school bags. The only problem being that others may want to borrow it and never give it back.

You may wish to start of with this little book, and then go on to others to learn more if you need to but to be honest it pretty much covers all areas.

This one is a keep for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and short, 12 Dec. 2011
Good overview of study skills and memory techniques, and it's an easy read. There are lots of longer books on how to improve your memory, but really all you need to know can be set out in a few pages. That's one of the best things about this book, actually - it's modest length means that you can actually be bothered reading through it - contrast so many study skills books on the market that are 300-400 even 500 pages long - who is ever actually going to read a book of this length, especially when they have study to do?!

4.0 out of 5 stars very accessible, reader friendly guide for students, 22 Jan. 2011
My son is doing exams this year and has had a hard time motivating himself to study. I bought this book for him on a recommendation without thinking it would make much difference. It turns out that he found it really helpful. it doesn't just cover study skills It really helps you to think about the whole range of attitudes, orientations and habits that can support an effective approach to exam years. It's not condescending or facile like some of these guides can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprise hit with my son!, 19 Jan. 2012
K. Pietrangeli (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 12 year old son who could use a bit of help with organisation and study skills. I had no idea how much he would enjoy it! He read it from cover to cover in a couple of days and now keeps it on his bedside table and frequently dips in and out of it. The author has presented the ideas as if it were "buddy to buddy" and it includes a lot of amusing silliness and cartoons to keep it from feeling too heavy. I am super impressed and have been recommending it to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... was in high school to help him get on better in class i do believe it worked for, 26 Nov. 2013
i got this for my son why he was in high school to help him get on better in class i do believe it worked for him

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sept. 2014
My son did even better than expected. He refereed to it many times during his GCSE revision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sept. 2014
Speedy delivery and great quality

2.0 out of 5 stars Book has not been checked, 1 Dec. 2013
I gave this book to me son only for him to come back to me showing me handwritten notes on the inside of the front and back cover. The words were all about domestic abuse, possibly written by one parent about the other parent. It was extremely upsetting to read and completely inappropriate for the contents of the book, thus telling me that the book has not been thoroughly checked by the seller. This is not the first time I have come across writing inside books that are described as being in excellent or very good condition by this seller.

Get Better Grades: Cool Study Skills for Red Hot Results
Get Better Grades: Cool Study Skills for Red Hot Results by Steve Skidmore (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2007)