4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by A. Ryland

3.0 out of 5 stars How to stop you going mad
This book was suggested to me by the school nurse. My teenage son is not only driving me crazy at home but is also getting into hot water at school. The book has some helpful tips and it is really easy to read. There are cartoon strips that act out typical scenarios and make an easy reference point. I haven't finished the book yet but I have seen some good results with...
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by R. Schutt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 1 Nov 2009
A. Ryland (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk (Paperback)
This was easy to read and at times seemed to be stating the obvious, but the techniques suggested, for talking to your teen, were very subtle - and actually worked!! I think the basic idea is 'treat others as you would like to be treated yourself' and it seems that parents aren't particularly good at this when it comes to their teenage children. The examples were maybe a bit unrealistic but the idea of talking to your teen in such a way, that they realize for themselves why their behavior is unacceptable, is actually very good - it encourages the teen to think for themselves and take responsibility for their behavior. More importantly, as your teen sees that you are listening to them and not just dismissing their opinions etc, they really do open up you. Whether or not your teenage child is difficult to live with, or not, this is worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on teens I have yet met, 2 Jun 2009
Tess N (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I had found the "How to talk so kids..." book by the same authors helpful, so thought I would give this one a try. It is really readable, and has lots of useful ideas in it. I like the combination of text and cartoons, as it seem to make it more memorable. I read it straight through in one sitting as soon as it arrived. Then I lent it to a friend who has already read it twice and now bought her own copy! So that means I can re-read mine, which I plan to do. It is so helpful to have a fresh point of view to get one out of the old dysfunctional patterns of communication (or not as the case may be!) with one's children - and also with other adults. I definitely recommend this book. (by Tess N)

5.0 out of 5 stars This has helped so much, 11 April 2011
I have just finished reading this book, I would recommend this for anyone who comes into contact with children of any age. Within days of picking up this book I have been able to speak to my daughter with much better understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 28 May 2012
Princess Mononoke (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I found this really helpful as it made me understand how teenagers think, and I began to realize that if I wanted to change my daughter's behaviour I had to rethink the way I communicated with her. It's taken time but the methods in this book have really helped us to communicate and our relationship has improved greatly

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide for parents of teenagers, 20 Jun 2012
C. J. Hartridge (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a well written, light hearted way to get some really good tips and tools over to parents of kids of 12 upwards. Its written in such a way that makes the advice easy to absorb and digest. The title says it all, it gives great practical advice in helping you avoid conflict whilst still getting your message accross, at an time when your kids are beyond the age where you can still simply tell them what to do. What more can I say except I highly reccomended!

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD FOR TEENS TOO, 1 Aug 2010
S. Griffiths "SMG" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
Best thing about this book is I have caught my teen reading it a couple of times ... well, the cartoons anyway! It has certainly helped to get discussions started and I think my son appreciates we are trying to communicate with him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone who deals with teens!, 15 Aug 2007
This book should be made compulsory for every teacher in training and mailed to every parent. It is worth its weight in gold. Check out the other titles which are equally as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk, 13 Aug 2013
As an educator & mother to 2 teenagers I found this practical book very useful. The principles outlined are user friendly, sensible & work. All you need is the self-discipline to follw them. Highly recommended for all parents (& for relationships in general).

5.0 out of 5 stars This a good book, 11 Mar 2013
I refer to this book constantly when working with parents of teens. It gives them a framework to hang the way they are with thier teen. It is a bit american though, but you have to see through this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book in the Series!, 30 May 2010
A really well thought out and helpful book, that you can dip in & out of.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk
How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk by Elaine Mazlish (Paperback - 28 July 2006)