on 11 July 2003
Wondering through the Library one lazy sunday, I spotted this and decided to give it a go. Man am I ever glad I did. Possibly the most realistic book I have ever read, I totally indentified with everything.
You will definately know somebody like the main Characters: Lucy- shy, quiet and not sure where she's going in life; Nesta- Hip, confident, a real go-getter; Izzie- rebellious, different, lives for the moment.
The perfect book for anybody who has ever had to deal with career choices, bossy teachers, new friends, bad hair days and deranged parents.
If I can even convince one person to read this book, I will die happy!
on 21 July 2004
In this beginning book, it introduces you to the main three characters. It is very good at getting you to feel as if you are a part of the book. If you are into a really girly book, this is the book for you. I found that it is really easy to relate with the characters. You can feel what they are going through. I think that this is a very good start to the series and the later books just get better. IT'S A MUST READ!!!!!!
on 28 August 2005
"We've got a lot to talk about today" she said " It's about your GCSEs, I want to give you some attention now so it dosen't come as a big rush later on".
Too late I thought I'm already in a panic mode.
"I want you to think about your goals, your ambitions what you want to be when you grow up." she stared directly at me.
"So lucy what do you want to be when your older?"
"Don't know miss".
Lucy is 14, and it's time she starts to decide what she wants to be when shes older. The problem is she dosen't know what she wants to be, and everyone else around her seems to know. At the same time Izzie (her best friend) has made friends with the glamouurs Nesta and shes not sure if she likes this new threesome. Nesta and Izzie look 16 but Lucy feels she could easily pass for a twelve-year-old. Lucy thinks her life is over intil she sees this most wonderful Boy, (but sadly theres a catch-like every story)!
Follow Lucy as she gose throught the ups and downs of being a teenager. A must read for anyone aged 11-15
on 30 March 2003
This was a great book! I fell in love with it the moment I finished the first chapter. I know what Lucy was going through with her mates because I was in the same situation once. I felt left out just like she did but then things got way better. I haven't read a funny yet inspirational teen book like this in ages, so I was glad I purchased it. When I got done with the book, I made my mum run out to the book shop so I could read the second one. And now so far I have read all the books in the series. Ms. Hopkins, keep them coming!
on 4 June 2001
Ever worried about your height, your looks, your friends, never having kissed anyone? Ever wondered what makes you who you are? Ever thought your parents were completely dippy? If the answer to any (or all) of these questions is YES, then 'Mates, Dates and Inflatable Bras' is the perfect book to show you that you're NOT alone, and most of all that no-one is perfect, even if they appear to be. Through Lucy, Izzie and Nesta (and, of course, Lucy's Mum's 'Angel cards ') Cathy Hopkins shows us that nobody's perfect, and the greatest thing in the world is friendship (even if you ARE 4ft 8 and A HALF with no cleavage whatsoever!) A must for troubled teenage girls everywhere! (And if you're not troubled - it's a must all the same.) Hillariously funny, but with a serious message on the meaning of life, love and friendship, Cathy Hopkins gives us just the right mix for a brilliant book.
on 12 July 2001
I loved this book. It was my story from beginning to end and all teenage girls should read it. It also left me with a positive feeling about things. It was easy to read and I couldn't put it down once I'd started. I can't wait for the others
on 10 July 2003
This book was a great starter to the collection of books. it is funny and you can actually relate to the books and what each of the mates are going through. It is a great selection for teenagers as the problems that rise in the book actually happen to us.
These books are addictive i finish them so fast as i want to know what what is going to happen and i just can't put the book down. But it is a shame when i have finished because i want to keep reading but it has finished.
cathy hopkins is an author who can relate to others with their problems and everything which happens in your life.
these books are ones that you can't miss. one's you just can't put down.
on 12 January 2010
I picked up one of these books at my local library, and immediately loved it. Unfortunately the one I picked up was the eleventh in the series, but I found the others and now own the first 10, and am currently reading the 8th. They are all about four girls going through teenage life, each book leads them through a new adventure, which are all great fun to read. I am an early-teen girl, and I love them. They're exactly the kind of thing a teenage girl would want to read about, and are extremely well written. As well as the series of fiction stories, there are also quite a few books full of advice on all sorts of things girls have to go through, one about flirting, and one about life etc. They're are all light, fun reads that teach you a lot about teenage life. fantastic.
on 26 January 2007
i think this book is all about growing up.if you choosing GCSE subjects have just met your first boyfriend or u are totally making your self over this is the book for you because it is all about change!!

this book is ssoooo good!!im 15 and i got these books when i was about 13 i never really bothered to read it though because i thought it wouldnt be that good! i was soo wrong. i have read this book about 4 times along with the others in the mates dates series its not only this one which is wonderfull but the rest are equally great.i would recommend you buy the set with the 12 mates dates books in it because when you read this book u will deffinately want to read the rest!!
on 31 August 2013
Firstly, every girl should read the mates, dates series! The books that make up this series are life lessons that every girl will be able to relate to and use in their own teenage journey.

Fourteen year old Lucy wishes she was everything she's not, taller, to have bigger boobs, brunette, funnier, flirtier, less babyish looking, blessed with less embarrassing parents. Unfortunately for Lucy she learns that just wishing something would happen doesn't make actually happen. When she is faced with a boy dilemma, Lucy must rely on her friends for guidance.

Lucy's character is great. Plagued with all the worries a teenage girl would have at the young age of fourteen she has to navigate through them in order to move on and grow up, making her really easy to relate to. Even re-reading this at the age of 23, I can see some of me in Lucy and it made me feel nostalgic for my teenage years!

Lucy takes the first tentative steps into the world of relationships and love when she spies a gorgeous, hunky, older lad leaving a near-by school. Having no experience at her young age Lucy does what every girl would do, turn to her friends and ask for advice. The story shows how teenage friendships have ups and downs, especially for girls, and how lasting friendships can overcome any circumstance.

I cannot recommend this book any higher, especially for teenage girls. It is packed full of real life situations that young girls will find themselves in as the battle through the turmoil of growing up, and finding your place in the world. Making and breaking friendships, lessons in love and making choices that affect your future. Without telling you the reader how to handle situations in real life, this book offers some sage advice and guidance in the form of fitting quotes and anecdotes.

Erin x