Format: Paperback|Change

excellent book. very comprehensive
on 3 December 2015
Excellent book and condition
on 10 October 2007
After reading other customer reviews about this book I couldnt wait to have it to hand for I was running out of ideas for the childrens' bedtime story.When you open it up you find hundreds of stories to choose from but unfortunately as I started to read it I was constantly being interupted with questions of "what does 'hast thou' mean daddy ?" and "whats 'ran thither to entreat him' mean ?" and "whats 'hark thee'?".For the book is full of oldy worldy sayings. I found it quite useful to read ahead before reading it at bedtime. It saves lots of questions and time.
on 22 September 2015
Good!
on 27 March 2005
For the fan of fairy tales this book is a lovely addition to any collection. Although lengthy and perhaps not the best introduction to the works of the Grimm brothers, it is comprehensive. The stories are short enough to read aloud and the illustrations are simple and compliment the stories well.
I give this book four stars only because I would have liked more illustrations and would have liked the book to be more child friendly.
on 29 August 2010
It was great to read this as we made our way down the Fairy Tale oute and Brothers Grimm route of Germany. Really added atmosphere.
on 30 March 2009
the books were good value for money only regret is we never upgraded to a hard back instead of paperback
on 27 December 2010
I've always liked the story of Hansel and Grethel and decided to buy this book of the complete works of Brothers Grimm. Having now read most of the "stories" I now understand why we know stories such as Hansel and Grethel, Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood and don't know stories such as Number 200 The Golden Key, which I rate as one of the worst non-stories I've ever read. Then, there's stories such as Number 25 The Seven Ravens which Rackman did the original painting of the 7 ravens. In my humble opinion this is again a dreadful non-story, which after reading I was left with the feeling "what a waste of time". And as to the reproduced image of the original Rackman painting, the quality is very poor.

My advice is to buy a book of the well-known Grimm stories and leave the rest to academic history.