5.0 out of 5 stars A great lesson
Although written in old English there is absolutely no denying the logic. He painstakingly takes you through undeniably statements that are so simple that you must agree with him. Then having agreed, he hold up more complex issue that politics and social engineer may have set up and dares you to deny the logic.
Published 16 months ago by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Abridged
Published on 7 Feb 2011 by alligatoraids

5.0 out of 5 stars A great lesson, 25 Mar 2013
Steve "Tell us about yourself!" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Not unabridged!, 28 April 2010
Legendary book. However, please do be advised that the Oxford World's Classics edition of this book is NOT an unabridged edition (contrary a statement by one of the other reviewers). It is not at all clear on Amazon's product page, in fact its just not marked anywhere. But you can see for yourself by using "Look inside" and navigating to the press details. Don't make the mistake I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Abridged, 7 Feb 2011
I'm not sure that this will bother most people, but when I realized that this book was abridged it really got under my skin. I was 250 pages in when I happened to glance at the first few pages and realized that it was abridged. I'm not claiming that you lose much in this abridgement, but I do think that more effort should be made to point out an abridged copy versus an unabridged copy. Some people (like me) prefer their philosophy texts whole. I would not have purchased this had I know it was abridged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Abridged, 21 Sep 2002
Ben Saunders (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (Wordsworth Classics of World Literature) (Paperback)
I won't go into the depths of Locke studies here. Suffice to say he was the first of the 'British Empiricists'; building on Descartes' ideas and beginning an epistemology that influenced Berkely, Hume and many others. The Essay is a (very) lengthy account of his ideas - in which he begins by denying the possibility of innate ideas and goes on to explain how we come by all our ideas, discussing on the way his influential ideas on personal identity and primary and secondary qualities.
The problem that the essay has is that it's over-long (at about 800 pages) and filled with rambling repetition. Not actually amnaging to get through it all myself, I thought this abridged version might contain the highlights as it were... Well, if you have only a passing interest, this book is cheap and does set out Locke's main ideas without much repetition. For serious study, however, I'd invest a bit more for an unabridged copy (the cheapest I think is Penguin Classics; the best the one edited by Nidditch)

4.0 out of 5 stars Full version, 21 Sep 2002
Ben Saunders (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you want the best scholarly version, it's undoubtedly Nidditch's Clarendon Press one. This version doesn't offer so much in the way of notes; but it has a basic introduction, original spelling and IMPORTANT: is the cheapest unabridged version of the Essay I've come across.

3.0 out of 5 stars educating gentlemen, 2 Mar 2011
John Locke is a sixteenth century educationalist who has become an education icon. Read and learn about where early educational philosophy derives instead of the classical version.

Used & New from: 0.01