5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid re-telling of the timeless classic
Published on 12 Jun. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars the short Bible
Read this book in a series of Wordsworth classics, otherwise I think I would not have chosen this kind of book.
If you are interested in religion and the Bible it is a nice story. But keep in mind it was written some centuries ago with very old sayings in it, although quite readable ( as I am Dutchspeaking I could understand most of the English language)
Published 21 months ago by laros76

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid re-telling of the timeless classic, 12 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This re-telling of Bunyan's classic makes this amazing story much more accessible. Gone is the old fashioned and hard to understand english and in its place is beautifully written yet readable prose. The story has lost none of its imagery or impact but gained much through being a much easier read. The scriptural references are there (as in the original) along with helpful suggestions on how to re-read the book. Christian's epic journey along the 'narrow path' is as riveting as before and all the lessons he learns along the way as clear as day. This is an excellent book for anyone setting out on the Christian journey and equally useful for more mature Christians who may need reminding about all the pitfalls that await unwary travellers ...

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Stop Progress, 6 Dec. 2013
TPP is often touted as the "first English novel", so on that basis, and critical recommendations, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Although JB was a Protestant, I reckoned as a "collapsed Catholic" I'd understand enough of the scriptural allusions to cope. And so it proved. The narrative is all about saving yourself from the consequences of sin (the key to monotheistic faiths), and devil take the rest (he does). Christian's pilgrimage to the Celestial City is as fraught with danger as you'd imagine, though you never once think he'll fail in his mission as Good here is assailable but never to be conquered. Monsters and giants lurk along the way, but the most dangerous enemies are the personifications of human weakness who try to beguile him with false directions. In this they are the predecessors of "characters" in novels generally, for good and bad. Mr Wickham in Pride and Prejudice, for example, is a direct descendant of some of the rotters here. In Part Two, Christian's wife and children undertake the same journey, though they have a far easier time of it, stopping off along the way for marriages and so forth. The final passages where pilgrims are called across the river (of death) are touching and I suppose the reason the book has endured so long - and sold so well - is that we are all of us on the same journey, even if we believe different things about its meaning and destination. This edition has been stripped of complex doctrinal arguments, which is no bad thing as they are obscure and irrelevant footnotes for the general modern reader. Enjoy the journey - and watch out for that conman The Flatterer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic of Christian Literature, 6 July 2012
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
John Bunyan's classic. I first tried to read this as a child of about 12, but I gave up at the end of volume I. Nevertheless it was interesting to see how concepts such as the Slough of despond and Vanity fair had assimilated into our culture and I realised that most people mentioning these things had never read the book (my empirical test being to mention the yonder wicket gate. Blank stares meant the person I was speaking to had never read it).

This time I persevered through the end, and was rewarded with the original of Bunyan's hymn (He Who Would Valiant Be). Nevertheless I am now amazed that I soldiered on with this book as far as I did.

The language is archaic, of course. This is an old work, but where Paradise Lost had a beauty in its prose, I found Pilgrim's Progress stilted both by the way it is set out - almost like a script, as well as the constant Bible references.

On the other hand, this is a wonderful, faithful and straightforward telling of the puritan orthodoxy regarding the Christian faith, and it is rightly a classic for that reason.

All in all an interesting read, but heavy going

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Pilgrim's Progress (Classics of World Literature) (Paperback)
Especially for those with a biblically background who catch and believe the references throughout. Romans 8:16-18 'The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 23 Jan. 2014
Pilgrims Progress is a spiritual classic, but it is also a classic of literature. The scholarrly introduction gives a very clear understanding of the book and its background, and of Bunyan himself. Even for anyone with no interest in things Christian, it would be a rattling good yarn, vividly written so that when Christian and Hopeful are imprisoned in Doubting Castle by Giant Dispair the reader himself begins to feel dispair, and the battle with Appolyion is truly terrifying. The characters, despite their obviously didactic names, (for this is an allegory) are credible as human beings. Even the landscape is lovely, and for those who are interested, the Delectable Mountains are the Chilterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story revisited, 24 Sept. 2013
I read this as a child 55 years ago; then it was just a story

I found this version very readable as an adult and not too cluttered with some of the original theological discussions which you can always read in the full free versions available for the kindle.

Surprisingly it kept my attention right to the end and some of the more profound observations ( particularly how crossing Jordan can be different for different Christians ) have stayed with me weeks after finishing the book.

I'm not sure how this book will read if you have no faith in Jesus, I guess its either ridiculous or terrifying;but I enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! A must read for all Christians on a pilgrimage to the Celestial City!, 29 Jan. 2010
John Bunyan expresses hard core truth that many so-called christians and non believers would find offensive. I for one love it. He expresses these truths by letting the reader explore the world of a true pilgrim. The troubles ahead which poor Christian faces alone all reflect the trials and tribulations that real christians face today. I'm a living witness to that. 5 stars for me, and definitely my favorite book other than the bible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it, 12 Nov. 2010
I have read this book several times and now I buy it as presants for my friends along with Jonathan Livinston Seagull by Richard Bach

4.0 out of 5 stars A timely reminder of a book read many years ago, 18 Mar. 2010
It is a well worth while re read at a much later stage in my life. The trials and tribulations of Christian feel so much more relevant!

3.0 out of 5 stars the short Bible, 25 Jun. 2013

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Pilgrim's Progress (Classics of World Literature)
The Pilgrim's Progress (Classics of World Literature) by John Bunyan (Paperback - 5 Nov. 1996)