5.0 out of 5 stars Verne's most thrilling novel
This book proves Verne's greatness as a writer of fiction. The science in this science fiction flies largely in the face of modern science, yet the read is no less gripping today than it was in its infancy. The story is pretty simple. Professor Lidenbrock, a neurotically impatient scientist, discovers a cryptic manuscript written by a long-dead explorer; with the help...
Published on 30 Nov 2002 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars I preferred "Around The World in 80 Days"
Sorry but I found this story a bit too long and too far fetched for my full enjoyment, but that might just be me. I really enjoyed and was entertained by "Around The World In Eighty Days". Without a doubt Jules Verne was ahead of his time in terms of his writing and foresight.
Published 10 months ago by SMPEC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 14 Aug 2013
The book is good, however it is quite hard going if you are not used to the style of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for everyone, 17 July 2013
anouther book that i could not put down its a lot better than the film version it gets you so involved in the story

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are thinking Arlene Dahl, you will be shocked., 3 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
I grew up on the James Mason movie, "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959), so it was quite a shocker to read the book. You could imagine to my dismay the absents of quite a few characters and the center of the story is Germany not Scotland.

Now for avid readers you could care less about old movies, I can truthfully say that this is one of Jules Verne's best stories and well told.

What you will find more interesting and fun about this tale is the characters and their interaction. One of my favorite parts is when Harry who did not want to go to the center of the earth with his uncle, Professor Hardwigg; he turned to his affianced, Gretchen, and was planning on her to stop him. Her answer is shockingly disappointing to him.

"While there is life there is hope. I beg to assert, Henry, that as long as man's heart beats, as long as man's flesh quivers, I do not allow that being gifted with thought and will can allow himself to despair"

Be prepared as the bulk of the book is really a geological journey back through time and forward again painfully

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 22 Jun 2013
This book is extremely entertaining and I cannot get my hands off my Kindle to read it now! I really recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shows its age, 6 Jun 2013
Perhaps I am influenced by the many adaptations but I felt the story was slow and I lost interest with the technical descriptions and patience with the main characters.

2.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 22 May 2013
I think (based on a distant memory) it's a close-ish copy of the (English translation of) the original... but:
- why change the characters' names? (What would you *do* that for?)
- why, in the 19th centuray original, illustrate it with shots from the 21st century Brendan Fraser film? (Seriously!)
So, won't be rushing back. A dollar down the tube...

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 18 May 2013
so much better that the film I watch as teenager as it makes the imagination work as all good books should

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSICS, 24 April 2013
Have always like the classics. Brings back a lot of memories and remember the books from my youth, keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Engaging Read - Highly Recommended, 20 Mar 2013
Stephen Salt "saltski" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I picked up this novel last September with the idea of reading it but never got around to it until after Christmas when I was bought a proper Kindle reader. This is the first book by Verne I have read and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing style is descritive and engaging and (to a technically minded person) reads almost as a scientific paper. The way in which the journey is recorded and described is almost as if it were a real-life expedition that had been reported in a Journal.

Despite some of the 1star reviews on here I have not noticed any strange tagging or evidence that it has been converted from another format, the page numbering is exact and the time left in chapter/book works fine.

This has certainly spurred me on to read more by Verne, will probably go for Around the World in 80 Days next to see if that has the same descriptive style.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 16 Mar 2013
the book was brand new and is really nice buying the whole set for myself as like them all and want to read them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Wordsworth Classics)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Wordsworth Classics) by Jules Verne (Paperback - 1 Feb 1996)
1.89