5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Book Ever!
This has to be my favourite book in the world. I just love it. I've read it at least six times in the past few months, and yet I never grow bored.

It's a lovely story. A young, rich, kind and intelligent girl, called Sara, is sent away to a boarding school. She has a vivid imagination and is always making up stories.
When Sara's father dies, she is left...
Published on 10 Jun 2009 by Agb2001

3.0 out of 5 stars nice children story
being an adult it maybe was too childish for me, but i can imagine it's a beautiful read for children from 8 to 13-14 years old
maybe i should have read and rated it 20 years ago....
3 stars anyway
Published 2 months ago by laros76

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Book Ever!, 10 Jun 2009

When Sara's father dies, she is left with no relations in the world, and ends up in poverty - she has to work at the school for no pay and little food.
However, she is determinded that no matter how hunger, cold or tired she is, she won't give in.
With the help of her firends and her "pretending" stories, she overcomes the hardships and proves that anyone can be a princess inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that everyone must read., 24 Sep 2001
By A Customer
"A little Princess" by "Frances Hodgson Burnett" Unusually this book reverses the rags-to-riches theme. Sara Crewe is sent by her father from India to live in England as a Parlour border at Miss Minchin's select Seminary for Young ladies. Sara lives in luxury,even for a parlour border as her rich young father is prepared to spend a great deal of money on her she has a pony and a carriage,and a French maid. She also had a wardrobe far to grand for a child her age. Even though she had a great number of expensive toys
Sara spent most of her time making up stories in her head and then telling them to the other girls. The favourite of the stories made up
in her head was that she was a princess. When asked if she would keep this view even if she didn't have all the luxuries of a princess
and was reduced to poverty. She insists that whatever situation you are in you can still be a princess as long as you belief it inside. Ironically she was forced to put this to the test when on her eleventh birthday her father dies of jungle fever and becomes bankrupt and instead of being the show student at Miss Minchin's school she is forced to work as a servant and live in the attic. But Sara knows that she will always remain a princess inside. When I read this book I was absolutely captivated with the idea that whatever situation you are in you can also be a princess inside. Along with the message that you can always be a princess it also has the strong messages of hope and friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 13 Nov 2009
It's so wonderful to see a new edition of this timeless book. An avid reader when small, I devoured this book time and time again so my copy definitely needs replacing. I really hope that this new look will mean that millions more little girls will grow up with Sara Crewe like I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars For princesses of all ages, 28 Aug 2008
This must surely be one of the sweetest, loveliest books a girl could read in childhood. It's been a long time but reading it again all these years down the line (aged 21), it still holds such charm, wonder and profound messages about class, poverty and happiness that I know it'll be returning to my shelf to read again and pass on to my own children.

It tells the story of Sara Crewe, a rich little girl brought up in India by her beloved father, who moves to England to go to boarding school at the gloomy seminary belonging to the formidable Miss Minchin. She is the star pupil, dressed in finery and always happy to share her good fortune and vivid imagination with her classmates. But when a tragic twist of fate strips her of everything, Sara ends up a poor orphan working as a drudge in the seminary where once she was idolised by her fellow pupils. Miss Minchin uses this as a fine opportunity to take a sort of revenge on this strange little girl, who she has never understood but has always indulged thanks to her wealth. But no matter how hard her life becomes, she remains generous and polite to those around her, rich and poor alike, pretending that she is a princess in order to keep her morals and spirits strong. Finally, just as even her fiery spirit is at breaking point, an English gentleman who has been living in India moves into the house next door and magical things start to happen as their interest in each other grows. Of course everything will come right in the end, but I won't give away any more because it deserves to be read and enjoyed...

This is a beautiful, moving, and inspiring novel, whether you're 6 or 60! It is well written, with highly individual and well-rounded characters, and a wealth of description which makes it very atmospheric and allows even a child to see Sara's London in vivid detail. There are images in the book which I could still remember clearly and recognise years after I read it as a little girl, and even now I was holding my breath and waiting for everything to fall into place! In today's selfish modern society it also provides a reminder of how a little generosity and kindness goes a long way, and is a perfect fairy tale for littler princesses too. I'd also recommend 'The Secret Garden' for a slightly less girlie but equally sweet, timeless and beautiful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality childrens novel, 29 Nov 2011
I can't believe that there are not more reviews for this terrific book. It's by the same author who wrote the more famous The Secret Garden (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) but this is a much more digestible story, and a little shorter I think. Still, you have to accept some slightly flowery language. I am reading it to my 10-year old, she says she feels like she is inside the story, it feels like it is happening to her. I think that shows what a high quality piece of writing it is. When tragic or emotional moments happen to our heroine, a lump comes to our throats. Very effective. Oh, it's not too awfully sad and there is a happy ending. The character development is top notch, you really get to know everyone swiftly, and in this respect it is certainly better than The Secret Garden. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange cover, very nice inside., 24 Nov 2010
I will not review the content of this book as there are so many reviews over the internet that one can easily find them. For all Sara Crewe's story lovers I will say something about this particular edition instead.
It is the original version, no abridgement hence it is just perfect.
This book has a bit odd cover but very nice lay out inside. Letters are just the right size, very good quality paper and it is a real pleasure to read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic favourite, 17 Jan 2006
Marie Cousens (Harrogate, UK) - See all my reviews
I first read this book with my mum aged 7 years and I cannot wait for my daughter to be old enough to read it - although she'll have to get her own copy! This is a magical book especially to those of us who live in imagnary worlds. Sara Crewe was my hero when I was a child and I retain fond memories to this day. You cannot buy a better book for a child with a vivid imagination who likes reading. It will stay with them forever. This is my all time favourite book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 15 Aug 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Little Princess (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Paperback)
A truly touching and beautifully written story about a little girl who is very brave, and full of courage and hope. It makes me laugh, makes me cry, and makes my heart ache too. It is one of my favourite stories of all time, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Princess Review, 20 May 2010
This is a particularly good copy of the book. It was well bound, the print was a good size, there was a prologue, and endpiece, details of further books by the same author, some biographical detail of the author and the circumstances under which is was written, and the illustrations were appropriate.
Great story. Very well presented.
The story of a rich Victorian child, brought to boarding school in England from India by her father after the death of her mother, is a little sentimental by modern standards, but the lessons of triumphing over hardship, and integrity rewarded are still relevant today. The book is saved from mawkishness by the sad, but realistic, death of her father, unlike the totally infuriating changes made in the American film version of this story.
Stick with the written version - it is a great deal more rewarding. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defo a Classic!, 15 Feb 2008
I realised I had never read the book, only watched the film - alot! I sat down to read the book, which has basic film/book differences, and thoroughly enjoyed it! The characters in the book are very clear and you feel you dislike the characters that Sara dislikes and love the ones she loves.

It doesnt take long to read, and is lovable whether you are an adult or a child.

A Little Princess (Wordsworth Children's Classics)
A Little Princess (Wordsworth Children's Classics) by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Paperback - 30 Jun 1994)
1.89