5.0 out of 5 stars You really should try this book!
Published on 9 July 2002 by vickyarmstrong

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Boring read
Published 2 months ago by Rosa Del-Guercio

5.0 out of 5 stars You really should try this book!, 9 July 2002
This review is from: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I was given this book free at a summer fair by a very kind lady, in perfect condition, and I found it wonderful! A girl of ten years, called Rebecca Rowena Randall leaves her family to live with her two aunts in Riverboro. Aunt Miranda is softened very slightly, though continues criticising her. Aunt Jane, kind by nature, unfortunatly doesn't understand her strange ways any more than her sister. Rebecca is always full of interesting, exciting ideas, with very amusing or unexpected results. Upon a mission to sell some cakes of soap, she gets aquainted with a certain Adam Ladd, although she christened him Mr. Aladdin before she knew his real name. 'A. Ladd' buys three hundred cakes of soap from her, and she promptly falls over from shock. Then her aunts lose nearly all their money, and with the help of 'Mr. Aladdin' 'repairs her family fortunes.' This is a great book, and anyone who reads it will not be bored or uninterested, although it can be the tiniest bit draggy sometimes, not often. I recommend it, definitely. If anybody reads this and decides to try it, please could they write a review with their opinions on it on this site. You honestly won't be disappointed! By Vicky Armstrong, 13 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, 11 May 2011
Hana Jones - See all my reviews
I just re-read this as an adult and loved it. I am trying to get my girls (eight and ten) into more classics. They sometimes feel a little hassled by me in this area. We are just starting this in our nightly storytime hour. My girls are as engrossed as I was reading this treasure. The characters are so enduring and so easy to picture. The settings are described in such a way as to make us feel we are really there with the characters. This is a nice version of the book but I am going to try to find it in hard cover so we can preserve it and pass it on. I miss childrens books like this, that tell such a real story and don't have to rely on a lot of over action adventure to keep our interest. I liken this to the gentle flow of Charlotte's Web, another book we treasure. Strawberry Girl is another good example.
Charlotte's Web
Strawberry Girl (Trophy Newbery)

4.0 out of 5 stars Scissors, Lizard, Spock, 15 Jun. 2015
Here's what you do - read Anne of Green Gables, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, and Pollyanna. Then you can join the ranking conversation. I'm a Rebecca, Anne, Pollyanna guy, but I know Anne leads on a lot of tickets.

More to the point, your young reader can join in too, and then you can toss in Caddie Woodlawn, Heidi and Laura Ingalls Wilder. Not to mention the two dozen other great heroines who have popped up in the last few years.

This is a wonderful time to be looking for middle grade and ya heroines, and it is nice to be able to recommend some classics who might otherwise be overlooked.

(By the way, and it's important to keep mentioning this, Rebecca is apparently public domain, and there are versions of her story that portray her as an obedient, spineless simp. If you get a Rebecca book, make sure it has not been rewritten, "updated", "abridged" or reimagined by anyone. Only get the purely Kate Douglas Wiggin Rebecca.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, 25 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this! It has the same way as Anne of Greengables. Anne took the lead in games, so does Rebecca. Rebecca and Anne had to work hard to be accepted by someone difficult a relative, or who was adopting them. It ends well though because Rebecca becomes the same as Anne well loved by tbose who took them in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories!, 7 Feb. 2014
I read my aunt's copies "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" and "More about Rebecca" when I was a child and it is lovely to have this on my Kindle. Anyone who enjoyed the "Anne of Green Gable" series will also enjoy this. Any grown up with children who like tales of days gone by - I recommend this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 11 Dec. 2012
A sweet old-fashioned tale with a dose of morals. Not quite so sparkling as Anne of Green Gables, maybe, but if you liked that then try this. I'm gad this book has been made available in e-format - it was a nice thing to rediscover - and I have more patience with Rebecca as an adult than I did as a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 14 Sept. 2013
this book has something that just pulls at the heart strings.
I have found myself totally absorbed by Rebecca's ups and downs.

very highly recommend this one

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm, 8 Nov. 2012
This tale has more humour, originality and character development than rivals such as "Anne of Green Gables" or the Katy books, and less of the heavy-handed, Sunday-school- prize moralising. It also gives extremely interesting glimpses of life in 1870s New England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic book, 17 July 2013
This is 1 of the few books I've ordered for me to read to the grandchildren when they sleep over or are here for a while, they all have their favourites & at £1.99 the price is incredible I recommend this book without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves to be more well-known, 9 Dec. 2008
After all, Louisa May Alcott wrote only one wonderful book, "Little Women", followed by a series of uninspired sequels, one worse than the other. And yet she is much more famous than the authoress of this book, which is equally deserving, and even more so, because she wisely refrained, to my knowledge, from attempting a sequel!
Rebecca is very endearing but not in a cutesy way like Pollyanna (another work plagued by its sequels). The grim aunt of Pollyanna becomes a sweetie, while Rebecca's aunts are more realistically drawn.
There is also less moralising here - a flaw in most children's books of that period (and many books for adults too), and a lot of detail in the psychology of characters, their thoughts and feelings, skillfully written.
Rebecca, like Jo March of "Little Women", has literary talents, which I'm afraid will, contrary to those of Jo, go unused, because - in this the author is less daring than Alcott - the heroine is destined to a rich marriage, deemed preferable to the career of a humble teacher. The fairy-tale marriage which solves all problems like a deus ex machina is a bit of a conventional ending not worthy of the rest of the book. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot and recommend it wholeheartedly. Much better offer this to today's young people instead of all the crap they are reading.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (Children's Classics)
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (Children's Classics) by Kate Wiggin (Paperback - 5 May 1994)